• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor Ignition, Lyman Trade Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend came over the other day to shoot his Lyman trade rifle flinter. I have never seen a gun so hard to get to go off. All my flinters just need a load, nipple picking and small pan load to go off instantly. This gun wouldn't go off ever with such treatment. It had to have powder packed in the touch hole and a full pan to go off. It would shoot through the same hole at 40 yds when it went off.

I noticed the touch hole was really small and drilled it out to 1/16" but this didn't change anything as far as ignition went.

Any of you guys had the same problem and changed to another type of liner with better ignition success?

His breech is full of hardened powder fouling. I have had them come thru the shop with an 1 1/2" of concrete like substance in the breech. With all this manure in the breech there's just a litlle long skinny hole going from the vent hole to the charge.

He wasn't using Elephant powder or a sub was he? I had that problem when i first started shotting flinters using Elephant powder. Stuff was harder to ignite than Pyrodex.

Rebel said:
He wasn't using Elephant powder or a sub was he? I had that problem when i first started shotting flinters using Elephant powder. Stuff was harder to ignite than Pyrodex.

Now Rebel.....you KNOW it can't possibly be the Elephant powder...it's perfect, never was a bad batch...must be you ain't holdin' your mouth[url] right...in[/url] fact, I can put you in touch with someone who who clarify this further if you like
:rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I would do is check the breech with a rounded small bore breech scraper that will go down into the patent breech. As Mike suggested, there is a good posibility it is clogged up there.

Then I would drill out the vent to a 5/64" dia hole & cone the vent on the Inside & cone it slightly on the outside, put some Never-seize on it & reinstall it. That should eliminate the ignition problem.

:winking:

I have the same rifle in .54 caliber and my results with the rifle are just the opposite. I found that I primer the pan just a little with Goex 4f and it goes off just fine. I did replace the vent liner as soon as I got the rifle with the allen wrench head kind.

The big thing I noticed with my rifle is once the flint is dull, the rifle will not fire. In fact when I go hunting with it, I always put a new flint in the rifle. So far, so good.

I load 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 patched roundball and like you report, this is one accurate rifle...

Oh, you are changed the vent right off the bat....

Well, changing a vent, or drilling & coning a vent is a cheap fix that works Lots of times..... and what are ya out ? a $3. vent. & ya can easily go back to an original vent. I have yet to see a Lyman rifle shoot as quickly with it's standard vent vs. a modified vent. The modified vent is a considerably faster ignition.
I have also used the allen head vents in several rifles with success, but don't really care for them just because they are allen head & I don't like the looks of them, but that is just me. Some guys like them & that is OK if that is what it takes to get where ya want it to be. :winking:

For deer hunting I shoot 75 grains of 2F Goex with a .017 pillow ticking patch & .535 RB with BD6 grease. For target I drop it o 65 grains & same patch ball & a BD6 liquid lube.

Birddog.. I ordered the new vent at the same time I bought the rifle because a person on this forum suggested I do so to "avoid" problems. It must have worked because it is a fast shooting, very accurate rifle. I use Stumpkiller's moosemilk formula on a pillow tick patch. I tried the .535 ball and they were too tight for my liking...

cayugad said:
I ordered the new vent at the same time I bought the rifle because a person on this forum suggested I do so to "avoid" problems.
Was that a Lyman vent? Or some other maker? If some other maker, do you remember who it was?

Eric,

I have the same barrel on a gun I scabbed together. I had to drill the touch hole liner out to 5/64" and cone it a bit to get (DEPENDABLE) fire in the hole!!!! It must work o.k. The Deer in my garage didn't like it very much though. Very accurate barrel, but I don't like the original liner. I want to get a White Lightning for mine after the season to play with.

i havent had a problem with my GPR Lyman flinter. Ive been shooting since the begining of the year. need a very sharp flint though

Well, the bottom line is never take anything for granted when helping a guy with very little flintlock experience. I gave him all the advice on this thread and he said he had his gun going off much better after coning the touch hole liner and drilling it to 5/64s. Next he said" this pyrodex I am using is 10 years old". I had assumed he was using black powder. If he has if going off well with pyrodex it will be something else with the real stuff.

ha ha ha ! Yes, well, I guess he was having a lil problem if he was using Pyrocrap !! :rotf:

You might suggest he be On Target when he uses some Real BP as he is gonna find out what fast really is ! ha ha ! :grin:

My GPR has been fine with the stock liner but my father's Deerstalker has had a problem with flashes in the pan ever since I got it for him. Drilling out the liner to a bit more than 5/64" helped but didn't completely resolve it.

I recently picked up some 3F Swiss BP and it gave no problems in a short shooting session. We had been using 2F Goex. I plan to shoot some more this weekend to make sure the Swiss really is the ticket. Will try some 3F Goex too. I think we tried that but probably before drilling out the liner.

Back