• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Post deleted by Claude

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bald Baron

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Looks mighty good to me. I liked the lighter wood too. It looks like a good job of browning.

Looks good. A little dark for my tastes, but nice grain patterns and I really like the contrast of the stock and ramrod.

Not being a flinter-type, what's the lace from the trigger guard to the frizzen for? Is there a cover, or am I missing something?

Jealously cause I want a flinter too,
vic

Outstanding! That's some of the best browning I've seen and the wood finish looks very professional. You would do well with a component kit from TOTW or Pecatonica, don't stop now.

Salt,
It look great, the browning turned out nice, especially the texture. just the way I like it. You stain that ramrod and you're ready to go!

SP

Looks great super Job in finishing. Howd you do the browning, how many treatments? Only comment, get some good English flints, it'll make her spark better. Bill :m2c:

I would think that an oily frizzen would reduce its sparkability. Have you tried this oiled frizzen cover method before? Being a single dad of two I know what you mean by priorities!

Great job! You did a god job on the browning. I like the smooth texture.
I use a frizzen cover all the time for the safety. You never know when some powder might slip ot into the pan. Not only that but I've heard several people tell me their gun fired without having a primed pan.
Packdog

In a sweet box it usually takes me about 8 days to brown a barrel. I put 2 applications a day and card between them. I use Waykon Bay.

SP

Now, what about that ramrod.........

Beautiful!

Now, make it complete. Click on this link and get yourself some REAL flints for that beauty instead of that sawed doo-hickey you have in it now. :redthumb:

You won't regret it.

Old Salt,

I think you did a wonderful job! You should be very proud of the work you put into it! Very Nice!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vic

Thanks for the comments. It was a bit lighter until I rubbed gun oil on it the first time after cleaning.

The frizzen has a leather cover to keep moisture and dirt off. The man that helped me with a slow ignition problem recommended it over a cows knee. His advice was to spray some WD40 into the cover the night before going hunting. Pull it off when ready to shoot. It also adds an element of safety since the flint cannot make contact with the frizzen.

Nice job on the wood and barrel'n hardware!! :applause: :thumbsup:

..... I'm wonder'n 'bout the use of WD-40 on the "hammerstall" tho????.... if it transfers to the frizzen, ya probably won't git good sparks.

A "cows knees" is ideal fer wet weather as it covers the entire lock to help keep moisture away from the lock itself.

Nice job!!
YMHS
rollingb

great job :applause: :applause: :applause: but i concur with the others,get rid of that sawed flint and get some knapped flints you wont be sorry :: :thumbsup:

Quick question, I'm never owned a GPR so I have to ask.

What is this?

gpr42.jpg

The picture is a little fuzzy, Slowpoke, but I'm pretty sure it's a spring to keep the ramrod in place. I've seen them before.
Rick

Old Salt: :m2c:The rifle both metal and wood look great now your advice about the frizzen cover most of it is good but you still need a cowsknee for wet weather protection of the lock. I don't care how old or wise your friend is but that little piece of leather and all the WD-40 in the world won't help in rain or misty weather. You need a cowsknee to go along with it. The cover you have is a good safety divice an should be used with flintlocks but it is only a safety divice not a wet weather cover. Nice job on your rifle now get a good flint have some fun with your handy work.
Fox :thumbsup:

Now what am I gonna do with the two new sawed German flints that I have stored away?

Keep 'em around for emergency use, if you happen to be at the range and you dull your last knapped flint and realize you forgot to order more, the sawed ones will get you by for a bit, but once you shoot knapped, you'll never go back.

Old Salt,
looks great to me!!!! :applause: :applause:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Very nice work Old Salt. The browning looks awesome! I'm in the process of starting my own GPR flinter and have a couple questions for you. Did you stain the stock or just use an oil finish. Did you brown the wedge pins and screw heads or use as is. It's my first rifle kit so I'm pretty green and the pictures you posted gives me something to compare to. Thanks

Latest posts

Back