• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

post hawkin here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
flyboy said:
Don, I could'nt agree with you more when you stated "a fellow could'nt hear or say too much about Hawken Rifles". Let's keep this thread going. I'm really enjoying all of the input, especially from the Guru himself, Mr. H!!!

johnhat.jpg

Ahh yes the big he-bull hizzself .. Mr. H! Heza real bearcat fer nerve! :thumbsup:

Davy

Greeting Zonie and All,

I understand what you are saying, but am not sure a Hawken Forum would that much of a problem. And possibly, if enough interest was created in another type of rifle to create another forum, would that be such a bad idea.

In the interim, would it be possible to collect all of the Hawken postings from the other threads and move them to this thread?

There are a lot of Hawken Post here that quite possibly a number of members are not aware of. From the response the Hawken subject has drawn, I believe it would be worthwhile to collect those postings on one thread.

If you should over-look a post, I would bet somebody here would tell you about it.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

WE have to talk with the Claude to get this done, BUT as you'v just put here I search way back for things I've seen and sometimes it's not under Hawken this or that, and some is in flintlock, and building. It just seems it would make more room foe everything eles if we could move this to its own spot, or failing that put it all here. We are at 5 pages now and I'm starting a new rifle,that will take up another. Thanks for your input and guidance John. Fred :thumbsup: Davy whos in that hat ?

fw said:
WE have to talk with the Claude to get this done, BUT as you'v just put here I search way back for things I've seen and sometimes it's not under Hawken this or that, and some is in flintlock, and building. It just seems it would make more room foe everything eles if we could move this to its own spot, or failing that put it all here. We are at 5 pages now and I'm starting a new rifle,that will take up another. Thanks for your input and guidance John. Fred :thumbsup: Davy whos in that hat ?

Johnny L. Hinnant in all hiz by-gone glory! :grin:

Davy

I'm all with you on that one Fred. Just look at the resonse there's been to the "POst you Hawken Here" thread and it's still growing. Just from my observations of this forum. it's quite evident that the Hawken rifle is extremely popular. And I'm not even mentioning what I see in person!

I thoght so , just haven't seen that name before, now I know why he's so danm good ,he got Davy Cs hat!,ha ha ,Fred :hatsoff:

Once again if you dont have them you need to pic up MBs 67 thru first 3 months of 68, Baird ran some great stuff I never see anyplace eles.Fred :hatsoff:

Fred, do you think that NMLRA would still have some of those back issues or be able to provide copies of those articles? I do recall in one of Bairds books that he stated that he wrote a string of articles in the Muzzelblast magazine.

Thats what Im trying to tell everyone Flyboy I got the "67s" this week, you can go back to the 50s or so. you want about March 67 thru Dec the Jan and March 68 on just this one thing (see last thing I posted on other Hawken thread about why the changes in the rifle around 50 I also didnt know it was so big a operation they built them in one place and had the store front in another Baird really dug into it all. Have you or anyone tryed or had a Hawken from www.muzzleloaderblackpowdergun.com they do have a nice one or two I havent seen any other place Fred :hatsoff: I think its the first page of NMLRA stuff for sale that has the list of yrs for sale,or just call at 1.50 each it's a steal!

Checked that site out Fred. Those Hawkens they have posted are some real beauties! I was beginning to get quit aroused!! Their prices are fantastic too. Might just have to make a phone call or two for more info. Thanks for sharing that site Fred.

Let us know how that goes ,they didnt show pics of the ones they had prices for. that Hawken Slug Gunjust :rotf: boy if you got that no one would want to argue if it is or aint ,not within a few 100 yds anyway :rotf: :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Nice is it not? I will chec with them to find out more about their rifles. It'll be a few days but I'll get back with you. By the way, I was talking to a friend of mine a few hours back. He's the guy who builds my guns for me. He was telling me that he's been swamped with work lately and most of his orders have been for Hawkens! Must be something there. :hmm: Personally he does'nt care for them. He's into flinters. He's constantly on my case to get into them. I just found it interesting in what he said and wanted to pass it on.

By the way my friends name is John Bergmann. He builds rifles for a living and does some real nice work. You can check some of his work out in the TOTW catalog. Check pages# 133, 139, and 141.

Beauties for sure. That sluggun appears to have the Lyman peep and front tunnel sight.

sluggunsights.jpg

But wait, that can't be a Hawken. Look at that brass. Hawkens never have brass furniture. :grin:

That is not so. There were rifles produced from the Hawken shop that were brass mounted. There were rifles made for local trade that were generally of 38 caliber that were sometimes brass mounted. There was also another rifle produced by the Hawken shop known as Turkey Rifle. It was full stocked inWalnut, brass mounted, of heavy bore, and weighing approx 15 pounds. These rifles had barrels as much as 48 inches long and were generally around 56 caliber. :winking:

That didnt grab me as much as the "tree rat rifle " with 1000 yd Sharps sights. :youcrazy: if you can see that far to back one ...and youd need at least a 60 cal or bigger....and... but they do make some nice looking rifles , how correct , I'll let the guts that know weigh in on that. they dont show but 1 of the ones for sale the way I read it. fred :hatsoff:

Greetings Flyboy,

Can you ask your friend John Bergman if he has any detailed information on the Mariano Modena Hawken Rifle?

I am trying to check a particular detail in the shape of the buttstock.

As a matter of fact, if any forum member lives in or around the Denver area and has looked at the Modena Hawken rifle recently or plans to in the future, I sure could use your help.

Not even Mr Stith could answer my particular question.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

hi everybody please do not take this the wrong way ,but i cannot see what pleasure anyone gets out of shooting an animal as big as a small car from around 50 yards it is certainly not sporting it just seems killing for killings sake maybee some people get a kick out of shooting a sitting target i for one do not .hitting 47 clays out of fiftyand hitting a target six inches in diameter at around 130 yards consistently with my hawken is shooting.sorry if this offends anyone but i cannot condone killing for a cheap thrill.

For me I happen to like Buffalo meat. Around the super markets locally I've seen it for $8-10 a pound. After everything was said and done, my meat (shot, butchered, wrapped and frozen) was about $3.00 a pound. Ate it for two years and saved by not buying Beef. That was the economic side of it anyways.

On the historical side, I shot the buffalo with a black powder rifle. I didn't own my Shilo Sharps 45/70 yet. I could have use a modern rifle but wanted to honor the animal buy doing it the historic way. What I didn't anticipate was how tough they were.

I don't know many folks around here that don't have a sense of respect for the Buffalo because of it's symbol to this countries past.

I won't shoot an animal for killing's sake unless its a varmit or a problem. For my Buffalo, I was able to eat the meat for 2 years, I have a large rug and head mount and a skull mount. I probably used more of this animal than any other animal I've killed in the past. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back