• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Posting for a UK shooter...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...MY ROA is still shiny and bright all the way through, but his.....read on...

I've not had the ROA too long, but thoroughly enjoying the experience. I'm using 777 with a lubricated Wonder Wad, and find the cleaning pretty easy and straightforward. However, although I've checked the bore previously and it seemed to be clean and shiny, last time I took it out to shoot I realised that although it appears to be clean, the bore is actually very dark/black. So, is this usual or something I need to deal with? (There are no signs of residue or corrosion anywhere else on the gun)

I normally clean the bore with hot soapy water and a bronze brush, then mop it through with wet patches and then dry ones. I finish off by swiping a lightly oiled patch through before putting it away.

TIA

tac

That's not the first report I've seen on the detriments of using 7 7 7 powder.

I would respectfully suggest switching out of that, in favor of Holy Black - or Pyrodex if BP is unavailable to your friend.

The only lube I ever used in my ROA (all my C&B revolvers, actually) was Crisco cooking lard - from which no problems ever arose, excepting that Crisco is VERY sloppy.

might be lead fouling, each shot deposits lead-powder fouling, lead-powder fouling and so on. As I have said before some substitutes don't clean well with water. bottom line if its not rust and it doesn't affect accuracy....what's the problem?

Back