• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

potassium nitrate paper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crockett...I drilled my blocks using a steel spacing template and brad point drill, glued a thin strip of wood on, to cover the holes, and then ripped a strip about 3/8" thick off the block, which included the glued-on covering strip, to form the lid. The lid is hinged with a strip of muslin glued on like a piano hinge. I did my lettering for the labels with suitable fonts on my computer and printed the labels out in sheets. The labels get glued onto card-stock sleeves that work like a matchbox. They're brushed with amber shellac. I only made boxes for a couple hundred cartridges since i wasn't too sure what the shelf life of the flash paper was like, and didn't want to make too many cartridges ahead of time.

Nitrocellulose was invented in the 1830's, patented as a combustible cartridge wrapper in the 1850's, and in common use for manufacturing cartridges during the 1860's.

And for Newbies- remember there were other materials such as fish gut or just shellacked solid powder. There are quite a few books written on the subject for anyone interested, in fact, pretty interesting reading. On the boxes, the Richmond Arsenal just used a cardboard box with no separate containers for each round and breakage was a problem. The very early rounds didn't have the wood box, just heavy paper- that's how the wood boxes ended up being called "packets", the original stuff was in a packet. The boxes could have a wrapper/label that could be shellacked and made waterproof which then meant the rounds themselves didn't need to be water proof, that's one reason the wood boxes started to be used.

Also for the benefit of newcomers and those interested in getting more deeply into the subject; the old patent records are available at the Patent Office site, and make for interesting reading.Several of them are listed in the thread from last year, which is well worth reading if you have not already done so.

Latest posts

Back