• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poured pewter sideplate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose30273

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks. Working on a "Barn gun" type thing. Got to thinking today about a sideplate or lack of. I had been thinking about pouring a pewter cross in the stock for decoration. But then I thought why not pour a couple of lockbolt washers into the stock? Anyone ever done this before? I can't really see that the softness of the pewter would be an issue as the lock bolts are not all that tight. Any thoughts? Thanks.

When it comes to authenticity you might as well ask me the price of moon rocks. But I kinda like the idea and the way it might look. I'm getting ready to pour some inlays into a hawk handle, rather than pinning in pre-cut ones. Same answer.

Dont know why it wouldnt work.Try it on a piece of scrap first. Take some pics and share if it does.

Update, your results may vary. I first tried a similar sized inlay behind the triggerguard. Was not happy with the results. I actually poured it twice. The first time the inlay shrunk and was loose in it's hole. Lot's of char as compared to the size of the inlay. Then I opened it up and cleaned out the char. The next pour was a little better but it still shrunk enough that it was loose. I had undercut the edges. Then drilled holes into the stock hoping that the pewter would flow into them. But it did not. I think the inlay was just so small that it cooled before it could flow everywhere I wanted it to. I had wanted to pour a nosecap but this has me thinking.

Latest posts

Back