• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Explodes today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't worry! It was not filled with powder.

I just finished this horn up, rubbed everything down and made it look pretty, fit a spout plug and went over to the air compressor to blow any dust out.

I normally pressurize them a little to test for leaks. Nothing, all sealed up!

I noticed the linseed oil I had rubbed on to the cap had little air bubbles. I thought that was interesting how the air was working itself through a 1" thick pine plug and I wiped it off and went to pressurize the horn again so I could get a better look at the air bubbles coming through. Boy, I guess I should have cut loose the previous pressure because when I hit the handle, a huge explosion took place, my vision went blurry, pine plug shot out and hit me in the collar bone - base of throat before bouncing up and hitting me under the chin. It had enough force to smash my jaw up and chip a tooth off. Super super sore right now, but otherwise I survived to never use compressed air again! :D Next time, I'll stick with blowing into the horn and holding it there. I just was so amazed that the air was actually able to go through that base plug and push out the linseed oil. Still interested in that, but damned if I will test it again LOL.

A good note, the epoxy I use to make sure my base plugs are solid and air tight, held together perfectly. The horn is what sheered off and ripped apart. I ended up cutting an inch off and made a new plug for it and shes setting up now, ready to be finished tomorrow.

The blow out happened at an area that was less than 1/16" thick. Awesome for carrying powder, not worth a damn for holding air pressure.
125184929_10158128799222875_1654552837407394716_n.jpg

124637559_10158128799377875_5903291443883149577_n.jpg

There may be a lesson to learn here. Imagine what would have happened if that had been a powder explosion instead of compressed air. You might want to reconsider gluing the base plugs in, that could make a real bomb. If you fit them snug, seal with beeswax, peg with a few wooden pegs they are easy to seal and will be less likely to seriously hurt you when they let go.

Spence

lmao no mike tyson lithp :D:D😁

Nope, but it sure was a learning experience. It was a fairly small horn, so yeah, i went way overboard on air pressure when i think of it.

Middle horn was the victim. I cut an 1" off as that's all that was damaged, fit a new plug and now its drying up over night. I was so upset because I literally, just finished making the spout plug and I went to blow it off and had the thought, lets make sure its sealed up first. Tomorrow I'll round the plug off, stain it and finish it up along with the other 2.
125372313_10158129013332875_9037461522766166560_o.jpg

Last edited:

I just finished this horn up, rubbed everything down and made it look pretty, fit a spout plug and went over to the air compressor to blow any dust out.

I noticed the linseed oil I had rubbed on to the cap had little air bubbles. I thought that was interesting how the air was working itself through a 1" thick pine plug and I wiped it off and went to pressurize the horn again so I could get a better look at the air bubbles coming through. Boy, I guess I should have cut loose the previous pressure because when I hit the handle, a huge explosion took place, my vision went blurry, pine plug shot out and hit me in the collar bone - base of throat before bouncing up and hitting me under the chin. It had enough force to smash my jaw up and chip a tooth off. Super super sore right now, but otherwise I survived to never use compressed air again! :D Next time, I'll stick with blowing into the horn and holding it there. I just was so amazed that the air was actually able to go through that base plug and push out the linseed oil. Still interested in that, but damned if I will test it again LOL.

A good note, the epoxy I use to make sure my base plugs are solid and air tight, held together perfectly. The horn is what sheered off and ripped apart. I ended up cutting an inch off and made a new plug for it and shes setting up now, ready to be finished tomorrow.

The blow out happened at an area that was less than 1/16" thick. Awesome for carrying powder, not worth a damn for holding air pressure.
View attachment 50112
View attachment 50113
thats 1 way to learn by doing, ouch....glad u are ok. thanks for sharing.

When testing the horns I've made, the only air pressure I use is what my lungs can make by blowing down the spout with the plug underwater.

I'm glad you didn't lose any body parts, like an eye...… 🙂

View attachment 50112
View attachment 50113
Holy manure!

I like to use a few small brass nails, not so much for the strength but for the looks. Thorns or wooden pegs are plenty strong enough but I feel the brass nails have more "eye appeal". I cut them in half and predrill the nailholes so there is just barely any friction holding them in.
Oh it wasn't an older horn was it? The horn I'm presently working on has some age to it. In other words , it's old. I kind of doubt it would stand up to too much pressure.

When i saw the title i was like...do i really want to read this thread cause this can’t be good being on Friday the 13th. Anyway, it wasn’t what i was thinking and glad your ok.

Note to rookie horn builders...don’t do this! Just use the good ole hot air from your lungs!

Back