• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Explodes today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the area of the base plug is 10 sq. inches(3-1/2" dia.) & you only put 10 psi of air pressure in it, there is a force of 100 pounds pushing on that plug!!!!!! Back in the 1990's when the gov't changed the rules on underground fuel storage tanks I was involved in over 1000 removals & replacements. Had to take a class to be certified to do this work. They showed a video of a steel tank 10' in diameter & 3/8" thick blow the end completed out with only 10 psi air. 10 psi on only one sq. ft. is 1440 lbs. of force!!!! Compressed air is dangerous stuff. It only takes a couple psi to check for leaks. Thank goodness a chipped tooth was the only casualty.

I had a ramrod thimble pull off with a jag on it while cleaning one day. I Took the barrel to work and used the air hose to blow it out. I hit the lever and it shot out, flew across the shop and put a nice dent in a big and heavy overhead door! Glad no one was in front of the muzzle! Compressed air is nothing to toy with.

WOW!! better compressed air than a load of powder. just cut ER back and start over.

When in the military we had trailers with split rims. Not very big tires but every once in awhile someone with take the wheel apart with removing all the air. They have been known to kill people when that rim comes apart. They of coarse would say they thought they removed enough air but it was policy to remove the valve core completely, that way it was for sure. Scared them enough it didn't happen a second time.

Old Hawkeye nailed it.
I knew someone who blew the end off of a 4 foot diameter steel fuel oil barrel with only 30 psi. that steel was a good 1/4" thick.
Seconds before it blew they were standing in front of the end that let go. Very scary.
There is a valuable lesson to learn here that applies itself across the muzzleloading spectrum. From horns to barrel making to powder choice to obstructions. Remember, psi stands for POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH.
Glad no one was severely hurt.

When in the military we had trailers with split rims. Not very big tires but every once in awhile someone with take the wheel apart with removing all the air. They have been known to kill people when that rim comes apart. They of coarse would say they thought they removed enough air but it was policy to remove the valve core completely, that way it was for sure. Scared them enough it didn't happen a second time.

I knew someone that died that way.

Thanks for the Don't-do-this story. That's a serious case of "Aww, Shucks!" but I'm right glad that you weren't hurt worse. Those are nice looking buffler horns too.

Turned out okay for you but I did have to chuckle thinking of the surprised look on your face for a second when she let go. Worked for Firestone in college. Air pressure can be LETHAL.

If the area of the base plug is 10 sq. inches(3-1/2" dia.) & you only put 10 psi of air pressure in it, there is a force of 100 pounds pushing on that plug!!!!!! Back in the 1990's when the gov't changed the rules on underground fuel storage tanks I was involved in over 1000 removals & replacements. Had to take a class to be certified to do this work. They showed a video of a steel tank 10' in diameter & 3/8" thick blow the end completed out with only 10 psi air. 10 psi on only one sq. ft. is 1440 lbs. of force!!!! Compressed air is dangerous stuff. It only takes a couple psi to check for leaks. Thank goodness a chipped tooth was the only casualty.
Yep, a lot of folk have been killed via "just" compressed air!

Worked on forklifts for almost 40 years. Some of our rims for pneumatic tires were 2 piece, some with the locking ring. They had up to 200 psi in them. Rule was to release all air before removing the lug nuts.

When my oldest daughter was 10 or so she had one of those cheap inflated balls from Wally World. It had lost some air, I worked the plug out and fired up the air compressor. Gave it a good shot, then gave it one more. I was holding it under my left arm when it blew. Rattled the windows on the neighbors house, he came out to see what I had done now. Had a bruise on my chest/arm for a week.

Don

Was rereading an old Muzzle Blasts... March 2007... article called "Powder Lessons"... they intentionally
tested a couple of power horns w/ powder & cannon fuse. one horn secured w/ beeswax & toothpicks
the other w/ epoxy & toothpicks ... half-cup of FFg... no horns survived.

CAVIET, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! maybe put some SCHALIC on the butt plug end? that will keep air and water out of your horn?

There are videos on Youtube showing what happens when tires and split rims let go. I won't post them but you can find them yourself if you are interested. One is titled.
Dangers of tire inflating (Prt1)
Be warned, they are graphic.

Back