• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Explodes today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a good case in point for not gluing base plugs In place. Thanks for sharing! About 14 years ago or so my neighbor gave me an air compressor that he said had a bad tank, well being a “ mr fixit” I decided to look it over and salvage that tank and give it to my brother, I welded the crack shut and then welded a small strip of metal across the crack... in my mind that should seal it up.. well, after the “Repair” was made, I plugged it in and set the PSI for 110lbs, after a minute or so of it running I leaned over to see where the setting was at and how soon it should be shutting off. The last thing I remember is seeing the dial setting at 130psi... then a flash of red ( the color of the tank) ... then me leaning up against the side of my truck with
my Left ear, nose and mouth bleeding, It knocked out my front tooth, broke my nose, sliced my chin and put a dent in my truck where it knocked me into the bedside. Dad ha JUST left and told me not to
mess with that thing.. “replace that old junk tank“ he said... I chuckled and thought to myself.. I’ll fix that sucker! Well.. on that particular day and many days before and after that, dad was totally correct!
My accident was a lot more severe than yours, but I learned from it. My weld had held up, as well as my patch job. The tank was rotted bad enough that on each side of my weld and patch it had ruptured due tothe amount of rust that had weakened the integrity of the tank. The safety valve had also failed, it should have blew off air after 110psi, but it didnt. Anyhow, a few medical bills, a fake tooth and a whole lot of
Pride later.... I’ll not do that again!

Nice thing about horns and bees wax- if you don't get a complete seal on your first attempt, you can heat the base and horn with a hair dryer. With the base downward, the wax will melt inside leading to a better seal in most cases. :thumb: Cant do that if your epoxy leaves a void in the seal.
When I epoxy them, there is NO void. Its runny stuff. I tape up around the horns and anything that has a slight gap, gets filled. Wasn't the epoxy that caused the horn to explode, it was the crazy amount of air pressure inside it. The horn just gave out as the thinnest section of the horn.

Was rereading an old Muzzle Blasts... March 2007... article called "Powder Lessons"... they intentionally
tested a couple of power horns w/ powder & cannon fuse. one horn secured w/ beeswax & toothpicks
the other w/ epoxy & toothpicks ... half-cup of FFg... no horns survived.
Exactly! Its powder is a small container. Explosion + small confinement = BOOM! No matter what they are sealed with lol. Not one person here would be willing to stand next to a horn during one of those tests simply due to the fact, even they know, both are gonna hurt ya.

Back