• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And be ready for it. Half the camp will tell you to set the butt with beeswax, half will tell you to glue it. Then the first half will tell you gluing it turns it into a bomb. Be ready for it. :thumb:
Here it comes, kind of. How you decide to attach the butt on one end is entirely up to you. I have one just "beeswaxed"with a few thorns and another glued and brass nailed. Frankly I prefer the nailed one, brass nails are prettier than thorns.

Here’s the other end of the bench for your viewing pleasure. The blue box has Goex in it.

Attachments

• 910AA17F-AE8A-4FDB-A58E-C71FF4B33EF4.jpeg
    910AA17F-AE8A-4FDB-A58E-C71FF4B33EF4.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 60
Just a suggestion, when I make a horn, I try to find a piece of wood for the end cap from where I hunt at, usually near where the last deer I killed. A bit of sanding work and you have a horn cap. If you're going for the rustic look, I would use bees wax as a sealant on the end cap and black locust thorns for pins. I make a lot of my own accountment's and yes you want them to look nice. I get into what I think is the mindset of a hunter perhaps cabin bound say from the weather and thinks now would be a good time to make a new horn or bag, which I am in the process of making a bag now, perhaps later scrounge around and look for buffler horn and give that a go.

I just want to jump in here and remind everyone when cutting and filing, sanding etc. on horn, wear a good mask! I did not know how bad the stuff coming off a natural horn was for my lungs the first one I made and suffered a week as a result. Wear a good mask whenever you are putting out horn dust - trust me!

You've got a bunch of material to remove on the spout end to make it look good. What kind of wood for the plug? I like fancy so some type of Burle wood. A lighter color probably, your horn is going to be dark and the contrast with the lighter wood looks good.

Might start looking like a horn soon. View attachment 126413
Looks great so far! You might either facet the tip or "bottle turn" it i.e. file it in concentric rings/ grooves for an interesting contrast to the rest of the horn. The butt plug could be domed with a staple or knob. Two holes could also be drilled diagonally through the horn base and out a flat butt plug for thongs to the strap.

thanks for sharing this project. It is nice to see what others are doing. I am going to try one as well. I have a blank tucked away from years ago, and will try to make one along the F&I style. A friend made one copying Arnold's path up the Kennebec and I will attempt my own poor version.

I make my horn plugs out of pine, which is soft. What works for me is pulling the plug out with my teeth and holding it there while loading, then replacing it by hand. That way I don't lose the plug or drop it. As a result, my horn plug is all chewed-up looking. It ain't pretty, but it works. I'll bet there were a lot of them like that back in the day. Pro tip: don't stain the plug with anything that tastes bad.

Back