• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to cut off a bit of the horn tip before you drill it. You can use that cut off part to make the stopper.

wcpL4Eql.jpg

JhbtBgGl.jpg

I make my horn plugs out of pine, which is soft. What works for me is pulling the plug out with my teeth and holding it there while loading, then replacing it by hand. That way I don't lose the plug or drop it. As a result, my horn plug is all chewed-up looking. It ain't pretty, but it works. I'll bet there were a lot of them like that back in the day. Pro tip: don't stain the plug with anything that tastes bad.

Mine will be attached to my horn strap with a leather lace. No chance of losing it!

I will try making my first horn. A generous member I had coffee with today gave me a Buffalo horn.
is there any reason the little stopper couldn’t be made from antler? Does it have to be wood?
I think wood is best for sealing. I wax mine and although a bit forward, I put coupla O rings on, powder dry all the time, any conditions.
38FBBD1F-AD76-4F54-92D7-A173EE838335.jpeg

How's clear JB Weld for an epoxy for the plug? Good stuff?
Idk, others with more knowledge might give a better perspective but that’s what I used. I wiped some around the wooden butt end before I set it in, let it dry a day, then used brass tacks on the end, not historic but you can’t see it.

Don’t think I’ll do much more shaping on the spout. Primitive and simple is what I think a Buffalo horn would look like if a frontiersman or mountain man made his own. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I just stuck the spout plug in to check the seal. It’s good. I may make the plug and base out of light pine with a good grain or maybe a gnarly knot or two.

PS...if you are thinking about making a horn of your own....go for it. Great fun and a good way to spend an afternoon or two. No power tools at all involved in mine....even the hole was drilled with an old hand drill my late father had in his shop when I was a kid. Like I said, this one won't win any prizes but I will wear it with pride cuz I made it. :)

23153AC1-18DE-4120-98BD-1F19128C7BC7.jpeg

Last edited:
That's looking very nice, I just finished a buffalo horn in a similar fashion while I was waiting for my first flintlock to arrive... First time working with Buffalo and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, last time I made horns was 25+ years ago when I first started with muzzleloaders and I'm still using them to this day... Now I'm working on making a flat horn out of buffalo and it's definitely more of a challenge though I finally got it to stay flat and almost have the butt plug fitted... I'm using black walnut for these and camellia wood for the plugs...

2022_Buff_horn_flat1.jpg2022_Buff_horn1.jpg

I will try making my first horn. A generous member I had coffee with today gave me a Buffalo horn.
is there any reason the little stopper couldn’t be made from antler? Does it have to be wood?
Wood should always be used because it compresses. Antler or wood do not compress and you will eventually split the spout when inserting the plug forcefully. BTW, bison horn is thick and heavy. Not the most desirably material, IMHO.

Back