• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Inc. doing a little price gouging?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was cruising the interwebs this a.m. over coffee checking on the percussion cap situation and cruising for free Haz mat. In doing so, I noticed Powder Inc is almost 20 bucks higher per tin of 250 RWS caps. That's a little ridiculous. Everyone else is selling for about 36 -38 dollars per tin of 250. I hope this shortage is alleviated soon.

I was cruising the interwebs this a.m. over coffee checking on the percussion cap situation and cruising for free Haz mat. In doing so, I noticed Powder Inc is almost 20 bucks higher per tin of 250 RWS caps. That's a little ridiculous. Everyone else is selling for about 36 -38 dollars per tin of 250. I hope this shortage is alleviated soon.
Is it really a shortage?

Thats want you get for shooting those silly new cap guns. Get a rock lock

What else would you call it?
This has already been discussed and member posted what CCI told them. CCI said they are shipping millions of primers everyday. But where are they? Are distribution centers holding them? Are they being put on the shelves? Just like the "ammo shortage" a few years back. Right after the "shortage" there were tons of ammo on the shelves, online, at gun shows. Just like diamonds are so rare and that makes them expensive. There are warehouses full of diamonds ready to be cut. There is no real shortage. Just like the military munition shortage, there isn't one.

True, I wouldn't doubt what you all say to be true.
Thats want you get for shooting those silly new cap guns. Get a rock lock
I have one. And as soon as someone makes a flint lock cap and ball revolver, I'll get one of those too. :D But for now if I wanna shoot my beloved revolvers I'm at the mercy of the cap market. I have a decent supply, but I don't like having to ration my shooting. And as much as I don't want to I may have to get into making caps.

Ok, well I got a little clarity. All of their prices includes a hazmat fee of 50 dollars. If I wanted powder and caps then only one hazmat fee applies and the price for the caps is adjusted. I think I'll just stick to Grafs.

Ask them why they only print the five star reviews as well.
Been a shady company in my book for a while now.
I purchased a v2 loading press and left a 3 star review they refuse to publish.
I was looking at the cylinder presses. What was wrong with yours?

Got
Ok, well I got a little clarity. All of their prices includes a hazmat fee of 50 dollars. If I wanted powder and caps then only one hazmat fee applies and the price for the caps is adjusted. I think I'll just stick to Grafs.

I was looking at the cylinder presses. What was wrong with yours?
Got it as a aid for the wife but the base is too small and the arm is too short for it to be of any use.
I could barley seat a ball with it as was she couldn't at all.
Screwed it to a piece of wood and added a extension to the arm and it works ok now.
Slapped one together out of scrap wood that works better.

This has already been discussed and member posted what CCI told them. CCI said they are shipping millions of primers everyday. But where are they? Are distribution centers holding them? Are they being put on the shelves? Just like the "ammo shortage" a few years back. Right after the "shortage" there were tons of ammo on the shelves, online, at gun shows. Just like diamonds are so rare and that makes them expensive. There are warehouses full of diamonds ready to be cut. There is no real shortage. Just like the military munition shortage, there isn't one.
I am buying CCI primers every time I go to my local shop: they have plenty on their shelves. Cabela's has lots of primers on their shelves as well.
Caps are another story.

True, I wouldn't doubt what you all say to be true.

I have one. And as soon as someone makes a flint lock cap and ball revolver, I'll get one of those too. :D But for now if I wanna shoot my beloved revolvers I'm at the mercy of the cap market. I have a decent supply, but I don't like having to ration my shooting. And as much as I don't want to I may have to get into making caps.

Do what the pirates did, hang a dozen flint pistols from your belt

My local gun shop has RWS 1075+ for 41 bucks per tin of 250. No hazmat or shipping charges, only tax. I bought 4 tins. Hopefully the other manufacturers will get some out into the market.

None of my local shops carry muzzle loading supplies either. I used to be able to drive 40 minutes to Sportsman's warehouse or Cabela's and get whatever I needed. Now its paying hazmat shipping charges is my only option.

Just at walmart yesterday I brought several tins cci #11. Even if the distribution of caps is sporadic to distributors apparently the price is still $5.62 a tin at Walmart. It,s not like Walmart has volumes of caps and has cornered the Market on Cap Sales.
So why the gouging prices that are set by the other "guys"?
Pure greed I think....

I believe the late deer season flintlock only keeps the interest in bp alive in PA. Many hunters use flintlocks just to get another deer. When I would come across other hunters during the regular firearm season, I would get looks like I was from another planet because I was carrying a 60cal flintlock. Most gun shops in my area carry bp supplies.

Back