• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pick ‘em up off the ground around the farm.

Seriously, I make my own from chert or agate or flint or whatever we call it. It’s not hard to do. If I can do it, anybody can. The piece of chert in my Chambers flintlock right now is ugly as can be but I’ve fired over fifty shots with it so far with no misfires.

18988A7F-799D-46A5-A4A8-EF30A204D28A.jpeg
DE4ED7E0-9EAB-45D7-BF4C-5587AD4DD7ED.jpeg
F58B4CEF-2D0B-4FDF-BE47-3E842C216865.jpeg
9B2A4620-15B5-43C4-8039-CB485D215F87.jpeg

Here’s some more. They don’t have the classic look of store bought black or amber flints, but they make a lot of sparks.
FCA450AD-CCDE-40A2-A7AC-57E9CC9476BC.jpeg

Last edited:
I pick ‘em up off the ground around the farm.

Seriously, I make my own from chert or agate or flint or whatever we call it. It’s not hard to do. If I can do it, anybody can. The piece of chert in my Chambers flintlock right now is ugly as can be but I’ve fired over fifty shots with it so far with no misfires.

View attachment 347177View attachment 347178View attachment 347179View attachment 347180

Here’s some more. They don’t have the classic look of store bought black or amber flints, but they make a lot of sparks.
View attachment 347187

50 bucks a pound at IMA. They've gone up a lot since I bought them a few years ago. If I recall they were like $20 or less then. They are original "historic" flints though.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...lintlock-musket-flints-sold-by-the-pound-html

Original Issue: After repeated requests we are offering flints by the pound. One pound of flints averages 35 pieces, the larger the flints the fewer pieces and vice versa. We have weighed multiple one lbs bags that range from 30 to 40 flints so please understand all purchases are measured by LBS not by quantity.
For use with all period flintlock muskets; these are a mix of British flints that were made (knapped) to regulation pattern at BRANDON in the County of SUFFOLK in England at the close of the 18th century and are typically grey in color. The Amber flints were knapped in France at around the same time.
Now 200 years later a cache of original knapped military musket flints found in Nepal and never used by the British East India Company has been discovered and is available for the collector's market. Complete your original flintlock musket with an original 18th century knapped flint.

Last I got were around 30 bucks for a dozen at TOTW. Have to watch some of theirs, some have a really high hump. I had to take a Dremel bit and take some off.

One good thing about making your own flints is they’re free. Once you learn what to look for, a flint can be made purty quick.

Then there’s the satisfaction of using something you made from something picked up from the ground. When making flints, I think about the 18th century long hunters who came through this valley and made flints from the same rocks I’m using.

The first time I fired my flintlock with a homemade flint, I was hooked. I knew I would never buy another flint.

One good thing about making your own flints is they’re free. Once you learn what to look for, a flint can be made purty quick.

Then there’s the satisfaction of using something you made from something picked up from the ground. When making flints, I think about the 18th century long hunters who came through this valley and made flints from the same rocks I’m using.

The first time I fired my flintlock with a homemade flint, I was hooked. I knew I would never buy another flint.
With the price increase and availability of percussion caps now days I'm liking my flint guns better all the time ! I like and use the left over flat flakes from my point making chert slabs I have purchased. I much prefer them to the humpback, core struck flints, that all the vendors sell. They're basically free being made from waste chips.

Attachments

• IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2537.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2539.JPG
    IMG_2539.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Back