• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder measure or straight from flask? Revolvers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Bear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at a range and everybody I saw was measuring from a flask into a powder measure to the cylinder or bore. But, I have seen options to measure precise portions from the right kind of flask and I've seem some guides suggesting measuring straight from the flask -- into revolver cylinders.

What's the last word on this for revolvers? Sure a measure is safest, but is it necessary for revolvers, or just muzzle loaders? I notice Cabela's does not include a powder measure in their Cap and Ball Pistol Starter Kit , just a flask.

Who wants to be the first to find out? Not me! I'll use the measure every time, thank you, and I hope you do too.

It's best to use the measure even with a revolver,people do use flasks with the adjustible spouts to load their revolvers,and if You check the chambers thoughly and allow enough time after fireing the last cylinder full,probably little danger.Myself I use the measure,The idea of a quater pound of powder going off in My hand discourages Me. :shocking: :: :thumbsup:

I've been shooting my Remington repro for 30 years, and have never loaded anyway except from the measuring spout on the flask....using a measure is undoubtedly safer, but sometimes, just a belt is enough, don't need suspenders..Hank

Many clubs and ranges require that you load from a seperate measure.

It is not that big of a deal. In the field I load from the flask quite often. At the range I use the same flask and dump the charge into a measure, them into the barrel.

Safty is one thing, paranoia can ruin and enjoyable life.

However, just because you are parinoid dosen't mean there's no one out to get you!

:results:

I use a 9mm case to measure for my .36 and a .45 ACP case for my former .44, which is not to say that I never got in a hurry and used the spout. They wouldn't sell calibrated spouts if people weren't buying them.

Safety would dictate you pour into a measure. And you should note that you'll get booted out of most ranges if they catch you dipping from an open powder container. Nuttin's ever easy.

I dunno bout others, but at my range it's flask to measure to muzzle only. We tend to be at the far end of the paranoid safety scale.

One of the gentlemen (heh- if he ever heard me call him THAT I'd be in BIG trouble) I learned a lot from told me that there's names for folks what pours their powder direct from flask to muzzle. He said: "sometimes we calls them Lefty, but mostly we calls them 'The Late' :crackup: ".

vic

Thanks all. Since I have frequently been mocked for my safety mindedness, it will have to be flask->measure->weapon all of the time for all practical purposes -- except when returning fire. :winking:

I bought a carton of wedding bubbles (48 pcs at Wal-Mart crafts dept. = $10.47) emptied the tubes out and cut the "bubble-device". It makes transparent tubes with a nice, tight fitting plug.

I bought a lage MTM Ammo-box with handle ($6.50), bored through the round holders. The tubes with the plug just fit in.

I load the tubes with the flask-spout(s) or the adjustable measure and have a nice and safe set-up.

I like my hand too much to chance pouring powder from a flask. I use paper cartridges made from rolling papers in all my Cap and ball revolvers

Remember that Capt. John smith (of pilgrim fame) Was loading from the flask and It went off. This not only screwed up his hand, but caused pocahauntas run off with another guy (Rolf, I think) while he was in England healing up. Poor Capt. John never got to be an American.

Back