• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronblack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been having a hard time finding black Powder locally, all I can find is equivalents. I picked up Pyrodex RS an FFg equivalent, which I have never used before. Has anyone used this? What are the results? I am a bit concerned. Thanks

Ron

I am dealing with a flintlock. The people at the gun shop are telling me its the same thing.

Good morning
If the shop is outside city limits take your flinter and say.."Show me".
I only use Real Black in my flinters. It works on cold days when hunting really happens. It works on damp days when I see more deer in the bottoms where I hunt.
Or I reacon get a Gareenteed return in writing from them.
Contact Powder Valley they ship Black all over.

It ain't the same. It has a hotter temp. requirement to get it lit. With a flinter that could lead to sketchy performance.

ronblack said:
I am dealing with a flintlock. The people at the gun shop are telling me its the same thing.

I'd switch gun shops, or at least take anything else they say with a large dose of salt. Burn rate may be similar, but ignition temperature on Pyrodex is so high that it's really tough to ignite with a flinter.

You can use a "work around," with real black in the pan and 5 grains or so loaded first under a charge of Pyrodex in the barrel. Not ideal, but certainly more doable than stopping shooting altogether.

I'm in a similar boat with virtually no access to black due to shipping constraints, so work-arounds are important, even if I really need the black for some uses.

Lots of folks are going to chime in with sources and procedures for shipping in your own black powder. That's likely to be the best option for you, but in the meantime learning how to "get by" with Pyrodex is a good idea for the lean times between powder shipments.

What you'll probably end up doing is getting some black powder and then loading a portion of your gun's powder charge with the black and finishing with the Pyrodex. As a guess, if you want a 75 grain powder charge, pour in 25 grains of black powder first, so that will be near the touch hole, then pour in another 50 grains of Pyrodex. That will give you prompt ignition. As an example, even the Pyrodex pellets have black powder on one end to aid ignition. In the end, after you have used up your can of Pyrodex with the duplex loadings, you won't buy any more.

Le Grand said:
What you'll probably end up doing is getting some black powder and then loading a portion of your gun's powder charge with the black and finishing with the Pyrodex. As a guess, if you want a 75 grain powder charge, pour in 25 grains of black powder first, so that will be near the touch hole, then pour in another 50 grains of Pyrodex. That will give you prompt ignition. As an example, even the Pyrodex pellets have black powder on one end to aid ignition. In the end, after you have used up your can of Pyrodex with the duplex loadings, you won't buy any more.

This seems to be the best solution, now that money has been spent. I am now on a search for a local supplier of true black powder. Thanks for all the advice and solutions!

Ron

Why not order 5 lbs of powder from either Power Inc, or Jerrys, or Graf & sons??? it will be shipped to your door. If you can find other BP shooters, you all can pool your money and order a full case( 25 lbs.) for a case discount. That will put the price per pound of powder down to about $14.00. :hmm:

If you are going to search for local retailers, FIRST find other BP shooters. They will already Know if there is any retailer in the area that sells the stuff. :grin:

People in the gun shop don't know doodly.Get with some friends and go in on an order of a case.

Mail order is the way to go for sure if you can't find black locally. Pyrodex is nothing like black. The advice posted on spiking the main Pyrodex charge with black and using black in the pan should work but you'll still need a little black powder to do that with.

My guess would be that the guy you were talking to at the gun shop probably doesn't know what a flintlock is, and was probably told sub. powders are the same as real black powder, so he is just going on what he has been told, instead of real life experience. If it was me, I think I would shy away from this guy, he will probably lie to you again. flinch

In Rhode Island, Robin's Hollow outfitters should at least know who stocks Black Powder in Rhode Island. (There is also at least one other poster on this board from RI.) Otherwise mail order is good once you know that you'll want at least 5 lbs of something.

Subs can work okay in a cap lock rifle for shooting static targets. In a fowler, shooting a moving clays the lag, and the inconsistency of the lag makes it useless.

No lag when the nipples are .040" :thumbsup:

Do clean your flinter well when you use the pyro, it is a bit more caustic than good ole' black :hatsoff:

Brits.

There is a Bass Pro in Foxborough, MA and I bet they have some, give them a call. the last 3 pounds I bought from them here in NC cost me 19.99 a pound.

As the EPA states, "Your mileage may vary."

Black Powder is cheaper, less caustic, and substantially more reliable. And fortunately, available where I live.

Thanks everyone. I think I found the last place that sells black powder in the state of Rhode Island, Bulls Eye Shooting in Woonsocket. I think I'll stick to the real deal from now on.

Back