• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PowerBelt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB61

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a powerbelt bullet in a barrel that has a 148 twist. I have a T/C Hawken I thought I would try them in. But they are expensive so I though I would find out how accurate they are and/or what weight is better.
Thanks

I am probably well suited to answer your question. For over twenty years I have owned and hunted deer with a TC Seneca and all that time have never been happy with the way it shot. After trying dozens of permutation of loads and bullets I finally tried the power belt bullet. It shot the best of anything I have ever used. Don't get me wrong. I still think the accuracy of that rifle leaves something to be desired but it has a turn in 48" and the powerbelts have worked the best so far. Hank

1:48 twist will shoot powerbelts just do not push them too hard. I shot them out of my Trade Rifle with some impressive accuracy.

Actually it will be hard to say whether your Hawkins will shoot them well or not. All rifles are different. I have two Renegades and they are light night and day the way they shoot projectiles. Same gun, same caliber, same make...

All you can do it try it. Keep your loads under 100 grains and you should be fine. What size will be another experiment. It is a shame that they are so expensive. That is why I like to shoot other brand pure lead conicals out of the 1:48 twist rifles....

Have you guys found that say a 295 grain works better than a 348 or some other weight? I am quite excited to try it now. I might have an unusual T/C Hawken but I can go to the range and using cap and ball shoot it as accurately at 50 yds (not so good at 100yds but then I probabaly shouldn't try it that far for hunting anyway.) as anyone with a modern centerfile -- if only the rifle was a true Hawken replica.

Back in my days of powerbelts and pyrodex(before I was purified and started shooting Goex and PRB) I shot some 295 grain copper clad hollow points out of my cheapo 1:48 bobcat. They clover leafed at 50 yards with 80 grains of pyrodex.

Huntin

I have a 50 cal Pedersoli Frontier S267 (1:47 twist) that I use a 295 gr, copper-covered hollowpoint Powerbelt in. At about 65 yards, I can hold about a 3" group with the iron sights. Being new to muzzleloaders, I always thought that was pretty good accuracy, so I never tried anything different. Having said that, though, this spring I'm going to try shooting some patched roundballs. Those Powerbelts do cost a bit of money!

Bruce

Back