• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Practice for Squirrel Head Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can judge the distance to the tree or the position the the squirrel is in basicaly from your position horizontaly that is your range no matter how high the Squirrel might be in the tree, most misses up or down are from trying to allow for a longer shot than exists by the law of physics as gravity acts on the horizontal distance not the actual distance at the angle be it up or down.Basicaly the target is closer than it looks from the point of the bullets travel.

wow- that's really good shooting, and out of a very nice looking rifle, too- -congrats!

(no tree rat is safe)

Hoping to go tomorrow and see what the POI is for a 50yd zero with an 80/90/100grn powder charge for deer...be great if I don't have to touch the sights.
Worst case I can file the front sight a few more strokes as the 25yd POI is 1/2" to 3/4" below precise center...but didn't want to touch anything until I see where the deer load prints.

My guess is that you will have that ball moving along on a pretty flat line for quite a ways once you start shooting 70gr or more and you will not have a lot of "compenpsating" to have to worry about, that was my experience with my .40 and some .45's I used to shoot, enjoy!

To get an accurate idea on what is going on when shooting up or down hill.
Ask a bowhunter that uses a pendulum sight.To let you try it out.Just raise the bow up and down and see how much the pin moves. It will really open your eyes to what is really going on.

crowkiller said:
To get an accurate idea on what is going on when shooting up or down hill.
Ask a bowhunter that uses a pendulum sight.To let you try it out.Just raise the bow up and down and see how much the pin moves. It will really open your eyes to what is really going on.
I don't think TG needs a lesson in this area
:wink:
His point was simply that at such close range and velocity there will be virtually no measurable change in POI...ie: if we're driving a 92grn ball at 1800 FPS, there's not a lot going to happen in a mere 50-60 feet shooting at squirrels.

By contrast a one ounce arrow at only 300 FPS exit velocity which then slows dramatically, would definitely require some compensation...shot squirrels off tree limbs with Flu-Flu's, recurves, fingers, instinctive myself years ago...
:thumbsup:

I wasn't directing my post to tg.
Have you seen how flat the bows today shoot? I did not say to shoot an arrow. Just move the bow up and down. Use an open mind and you will get the idea what is happening. It makes no difference if it is a bow, rifle,slingshot,or blowgun. In some degree they are doing the same thing.

crowkiller said:
I wasn't directing my post to tg.
Have you seen how flat the bows today shoot? I did not say to shoot an arrow. Just move the bow up and down. Use an open mind and you will get the idea what is happening. It makes no difference if it is a bow, rifle,slingshot,or blowgun. In some degree they are doing the same thing.
Well, then you'll have to clarify who your archery example was directed to because I don't need it either...and that's definitely said with "an open mind".
:grin:

This is basicaly true by the laws of physics the horizontal distance is what gravity works on whether shooting uphill or down hill, many try to hold over or under when it is not needed if a Squirrel is way up in a tree at a measured distance of 80 yds but the plumbed down horizontal distance is 40 yds the aim point will be as it is with a 40 yd shot many will hold high because the squirrel is a "long" ways away and shoot over the top of the critter it is hard to avoid the visual effect and instinct and trust to the laws of physics and gravity

Back