• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB High Shoulder Shot Field Results - Whitetail Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Several weeks ago there was a thread asking if a .50cal PRB was big enough for a high shoulder shot to drop a deer in its tracks. As I recall there was a lot of conjecture against the idea because while the classic “anchor shot” with high powered center fire rifles was indeed the high shoulder shot that we all know, it was said the PRB did not have sufficient shock power to drop a deer as it required 'hydrostatic shock'.

Since getting into hunting with PRBs, I followed the same course I had while bow hunting, which was the time proven heart shot”¦take out the pump and the deer is down in sight...have now done it for years with several different size calibers.
But the claims that high shoulder shots were a poor choice with PRBs made me decide to dedicate the rest of this season to them exclusively, testing various calibers for the hands on experience.

Doe #1
Was an experimental .45cal double PRB load I’d already committed to test with my normal heart shot, I did, she crashed in sight maybe 15yds away”¦the so called loaded-for-bear load worked as expected, .45cal cleaned and back in it's case.

Then I committed to high shoulder shot testing with my normal hunting PRB loads for as long as my season and deer sightings would allow”¦was fortunate to get 5 more chances:

Doe #2 - .62cal, high shoulder shot, dropped dead in her tracks
Doe #3 - .62cal, high shoulder shot, dropped dead in her tracks
Doe #4 - .58cal, high shoulder shot, dropped dead in her tracks
Doe #5 - .54cal, high shoulder shot, dropped dead in her tracks
Doe #6 - .50cal, high shoulder shot, dropped dead in her tracks

The original question was about a .50cal”¦and not only did my .50cal Dickert drop today’s Doe in its tracks with the high shoulder shot, it was a complete pass-through.
What I learned was that a high shoulder shot with a PRB did indeed produce instant results, each and every time, with the .50/.54/.58/.62 calibers I personally tested. And as a result I believe the .45cal would do equally as well.

THE HIGH SHOULDER PRB SHOT PLACEMENT I USED
Through the scapula (shoulder blade) and through the vertebrae that dips / curves down between the shoulder blades, resulting in instant, humane death to the animal.

Roundball are you referring to the area above the brisket, where the neck meets the back bone in the upper 1/3 of the picture shown?
Does the shot placement take out any of the upper lung area?

These 2 photos show the POA / POI I was using pretty well...the goal being to get into that vertebrae behind / between the shoulder blades.
Don't know if it would get into the lung area on a classic broadside shot, but the 2nd photo was quartering towards me and probably would have.
In all cases, they dropped dead where they stood and I now plan to use the high shoulder shot as my first choice unless a tree or something is in the way.

I made two high shoulder shots with my 62 this year. They both dropped. All others ran before falling

Thank you for posting your results. It is just what I would have expected but never tried it for myself. Seems to be pretty consistant results

Happy New Year to you all.

What was the average yards, that you are shooting? I think I was in this discussion before, and I have taken shoulder shots, but most were quartering, to me, or coming towards me, might be a better description. I'm afraid of a lung shot, under those circumstances, due to possible missing back, and gut shot. But this has been a bad year of hunting, for me, I only got one deer, and that was with a crossbow, however I shot her about the same place as your 2nd photo.

By the way, great hunting, and information.

In addition to the ranges that the deer were killed which you posted I am curious about the internal damage.

When field dressing did you see/document the damage to the scapula and the spine?

You said that the shots were pass throughs but I'm still curous about what exactly it passed through, size of exit holes compared to entrance etc. Kind of a how did the PRB hold up to passing through that much bone sort of question.

Great work on those deer I wish I could kill that many in my neck of woods.

I have shot them in the same spot, but always seem to end up losing a lot of meat off that shoulder. I dropped one at about 20 yards last year, high shoulder and pretty much destroyed one shoulder and lots of blood shot meat on the other. It destroyed the scapula and meat had a ton of bone fragments. Maybe just my luck though.

I shot one doe same height 4" behind shoulder this year, .54 prb at 50 yds or so. She ran 50 yards and piled up. No meat loss except to ribs.

How much meat loss do you (or anyone) get with that high shoulder poi?

elkslayer said:
In addition to the ranges that the deer were killed which you posted I am curious about the internal damage.

When field dressing did you see/document the damage to the scapula and the spine?
I haven't opened one up in 15 years...deliver them to a couple needy families whole and still warm.
You said that the shots were pass throughs but I'm still curous about what exactly it passed through, size of exit holes compared to entrance etc. Kind of a how did the PRB hold up to passing through that much bone sort of question.
I said the .50cal passed through.
The ball went through the right scapula, the vertebrae, and exited through the off-side scapula, dropping/killing the deer instantly.
I can't say how a ball held up that passed through.

But here's a .62cal / .600" ball from a few years ago, shot a buck in the chest at 40-50yds, ball traveled the full length of it's body, stoipping bulging the hide out on the back side of his right ham.

Fantastic post, nothing like actual experience when looking for answers to these kind of test questions. Really like that all shots were within my normal shooting ranges as well. The only thing I would like to add is shooting at this area has one flaw, if you happen to shoot forward of the mark you will have a wounded deer on your hands. Which is the reason I shoot mid chest and in line with the front leg, leaves room for human error. I will at times shoot to put a deer down immediately especially here in PA during the rifle buck season because a deer running any distance after a hit and someone else may be tagging my deer!

If you have any tags left give the .45 a go and see how it drops em...by the way, did you actually load 2 PRB into the .45 and where did the balls hit on the deer? :v

Kodiak13 said:
The only thing I would like to add is shooting at this area has one flaw, if you happen to shoot forward of the mark you will have a wounded deer on your hands.
Yes, same could be said for a heart shot that someone puts too far back and it becomes a gut-shot...shot placement is always a high priority.
If you have any tags left give the .45 a go and see how it drops em...by the way, did you actually load 2 PRB into the .45 and where did the balls hit on the deer? :v
Season is now closed.

Link to .45cal 2XPRB thread:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/283923/

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, that shoulder shot is no doubt, devastating. I wouldn't mind trying it, but when I get in shot taking mode, my eyes go right for the sweet spot, just like I was bowhunting. It's like auto pilot, hard habit to break.

silly goose said:
You know, that shoulder shot is no doubt, devastating. I wouldn't mind trying it, but when I get in shot taking mode, my eyes go right for the sweet spot, just like I was bowhunting. It's like auto pilot, hard habit to break.
I could see that...but having made the dedicated effort this season for testing I didn't have that issue come up though...and I've become so impressed and confident with the results it's going to be my first choice from now on.

Forsyth (The Sporting Rifle and It's Projectiles c. 1867) loved that location for taking deer, out to 100 yards. He recommended a minimum of 14 bore (.69 caliber) for deer type animals though, as he was in India and didn't want any chance of having to track his game. I wasn't that sure of the smaller, more common calibers found today having enough energy.

I shant pass up on that type of shot in the future based on your results, though I hate to mess up the shoulder meat.

LD

silly goose said:
I shoot my new hoyt for deer from time to time and I zip right through the shoulder as well, and the deer never go more than 20 yards. The trick is like muzzleloading you have to know your set up and know you can make the shot, use a quality broadhead, and arrow weight to draw weight to speed ration to get sufficent kenetic energy. If using the long bow I aim for behind the shoulder. I know its a bit off topic but wanted to add some additional insight and back up the original posters claim. Also i shoot hogs with the high shoulder shot and it breaks the spine as well and no chasing the hog either with 45 and up caliber. My buddy got one with a 40 caliber with 70 grains of 3f paralyzed it but didn't kill it with same shot.

Thanks, and I you...that's the huge benefit of Forums today for sure...we all get the chance to exchange / pick up bits of technical information...take what applies that we can use, and simply leave the rest and move on. Most people seem to gravitate to particular Forums for that reason.

However, as you no doubt have seen, a few basically set up camp on a Forum and use it as their daily life's social center. You can see their trails where they log in, then simply go right down the sections making some sort of comment to thread after thread, often not even germane to the OP's question, just to be making a comment, LOL.

You seem to be a quick study and strong willed, as evidenced by your stepping up to the situation with the injured mountain lion.
:thumbsup:

yeah I spend allot of time on this forum and on facebook
side effect of being isolated in the forest with only one neighbor, the social media tools turn into a virtual village

Before this post I never would have even considered the anchoring shot with my muzzle loaders. 'Go for the heart and lungs and be prepared to track the blood trail' has been everything I have heard and been taught in regards to these guns.

Back