• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB on hogs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homerdave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has taken a hog w/ a prb?
if so what was your load?
i may have a chance to hunt in TX and not sure which gun i want to take... GPR .50 or renegade .54...

years ago, I killed a couple of hogs, in Tennessee, with my CVA big bore mtn. rifle[.54 cal]. They will get it done. my load was 100 gr. FFg, a.535 RB, and .010 patch. I would definately go with the .54 for the added ball weight. Both of mine were 1 shot kills, but I would try to avoid the shoulder, especially on bigger hogs, cause if they have a big sheild[meaning thick], you may not get the penetration you want. Just my thoughts.

maddog2

If you cast your own lead balls, you can use wheel weights, but they will be a small amount bigger diameter. So use a thinner patch. This should give better penetration.

You can always get a GMT .58 roundball barrel or the .62 smooth barrel. Either would work well for you. Remember pigs get quite a bit bigger than a deer.

Have fun.

I assume you'll be stand hunting and fairly close...just put the ball into an ear

roundball said:
I assume you'll be stand hunting and fairly close...just put the ball into an ear

That's the last thing I would do. What if it moves? What if you pull the shot? You could have a wounded hog on your hands that you have to go after in the brush.
I say stoke up the .54 with a heavy load, get as close as possible, and choose your shot wisely. Go for the sure shot in the vitals but watch out for the shoulder as said before.

HD

I can understand where you're coming from as you're probably thinking of deer like most folks do, but just for general info, hogs don't have the trait that whitetails do as far as making a lot of quick/snappy/jerky head movements...if a hog has his head down feeding you can line up and plug it right in...I spent more years raising hogs on a farm than I ever want to do again :grin:

Homerdave...you might want to google up hog anatomy and see a hogs vitals location...different than a deer's...the heart is much further forward with respect to their front legs than a deers heart location...and it is protected by them...so if you try for the heart, you'll need a pretty shallow angle to slip in behind those legs and drive forward

Take your .54 and take your time aim small.

85-100 gr of ff should do it nicely.

They are not that hard to kill.

The wheel weight PRB is a good idea.

There is a web site something like "Texas wild hog" or something that is the difinitive hog hunting site.

Like roundball says check the anatomy pictures . The hogs sweet spot is not where most would think.

Keep us posted and send pictures

homerdave said:
wondering if anyone has taken a hog w/ a prb?
if so what was your load?
i may have a chance to hunt in TX and not sure which gun i want to take... GPR .50 or renegade .54...
.54, bigger is always better.
If the hogs are big you might want to shoot a hardened ball. 100-200 pound pure lead is porbably OK.
Wheel weight metal or 1:20 tin:lead. Will increase penetration since hogs can be pretty dense.
Might want to study anatomy of the critter too.
Somewhere on the WWW someone had done a dissection of a dead hog showing the internals.

Dan

Killed one hog with a PRB a long time ago. .58 caliber, don't remember the charge. Range was less than 50 yards. Wasn't a big hog either, but it went clean thru on a broadside shot behind the shoulder. Took out a rib on the way in if I remember right.

Hello from Germany!

When you want to get a good hit you have to aim center of the hogs body, then you'll get a safe loung hit. If you make the mistake to aim like at deers in the front half of the hog you hit the bony head or the shoulder blade.
A .54 with 90 to 100 grs will do the job well!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Here is a link to Texas Boars. Everything you ever wanted to know about wild hogs and then some.
[url] http://www.texasboars.com/[/url]

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
captaincaveman said:
if you're having doubts, why not shoot a maxi out of you renegade? 430gr. shoud get it done

Josh

I don't think he's just worried about killing the hog. I think he's looking to get it done old school.
:thumbsup:

HD

that's cool. I actually found some in S.E. Ohio I've been chasing with my .54 gpr and a roundball. Finally had a shot on a 400 pounder sunday morning but it was pouring rain and my cap got wet :cursing:

Josh

nope, i'm not worried about killin it... just looking for insights. originally this was planned as a trad archery hunt, but some other options have come up.
as to a hog being bigger than a deer...maybe where you guys live :wink: my buddy dropped (literally) an #800 cow "deer" with his .54 last week.
anyhow, i am looking to shoot an eating size piggy, no point in killing something i won't bring home.

now that would be a tough choice :confused:. I love my muzzleloaders, but I'm purty fond of my longbows and recurves too :shocked2:

Josh

I've been working up loads using a REAL slug for my .50, if I had a .54 I would be confident of a PRB with heavy powder charge. at least on an 'eating size' hog, say 300 lbs. and under. considering the damage a PRB can do to a concrete block (real concrete not the cinder blocks) I'm likely being too cautious tho. I shot my .50 into one and went through it sideways.

Back