• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preserving fur/hide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brain tan, only way to go IMO. Just finished a hide last week.

It is honestly hard work and time consuming but worth every amount of effort you put into it.

I learned allot of different methods from my dad and grandpa, however after trying many on a variety of hides nothing is comparable to brain tanning.

I used to tan rabbit hides by tackin' them to a piece of plywood & coatin' them good with baby powder. after fully cured, a simple back & forth on the edge of a board and they would be as soft as if the bunny was still wearin'em.

but, since it seems talcum powder has been outlawed, don't know what I'd do now. don't know if the cornstarch people are forced to use now would have the same effect.

You can brain tan with hair on, most robes were like this. It's just harder to soften as the epidermis shrinks more then the dermis. Smoke will color it, but it is very hc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need any fancy gear for fleshing or tanning... IMO that's a ridiculous price. Save your money and A. manufacturer your own tools or be creative. I've tanned over 30+ hides, never once bought a tool for it. My scraping tool is a modified butplate. Works great from racoon to deer.

I bought a fleshing knife from Sportman's Warehouse for $8, mostly because it would have cost more to make one. As to the rest, they are making a healthy profit...at your expense.

Crewdawg445 said:
There ya go, $8.00 is certainly justifiable. $100.00... Certainly not!

Yikes, and I'm on a tight budget too. I agree about buying the fleshing tool, though. What about the board? I don't have any boards laying around.

Make one. Heck it can even be a debarked log. Trash bag as an apron and get at it. Don't over complicate it. Watch Dave canaberry's YouTube channel he's got some good info. It's called wildernessoutfitters and he has a whole playlist on trapping. Pretty good info to get ya started tanning your own hides. He does it very simply and with minimal tools.

Erik550c said:
What about the board? I don't have any boards laying around.
I'm certain that you would be able to find someone with a piece of scrap lumber. A hatchet, rasp and some sandpaper with shape it. I would suggest poplar, though fir should work.

He's getting to the fact you can create your own scraping tool and board from readily available and common materials which can be found anywhere, heck even a building site or trashbin. Also the fact $100.00 on a supposed tanning kit is ridiculous... Just saying, you'll go WAY far if you learn to manufacture your own gear and tools from your own hands. Very rewarding and the spirit of keeping the tradition alive! :thumbsup:

Heck, I remember fleshing my first hide with a butter knife... First racoon I trapped with my dad when I was younger. Like mentioned earlier I use a modified musket butplate to scrape, easy peasy!

Crewdawg445 said:
He's getting to the fact you can create your own scraping tool and board from readily available and common materials which can be found anywhere, heck even a building site or trashbin. Also the fact $100.00 on a supposed tanning kit is ridiculous... Just saying, you'll go WAY far if you learn to manufacture your own gear and tools from your own hands. Very rewarding and the spirit of keeping the tradition alive! :thumbsup:

Heck, I remember fleshing my first hide with a butter knife... First racoon I trapped with my dad when I was younger. Like mentioned earlier I use a modified musket butplate to scrape, easy peasy!

I get that, but look at the link he listed for me to not buy. Lol...

Back