• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preventing rust on a pinned barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The traditional way to clean is to use cold water rather than hot, although the hot water crowd is quite vocal. I know -- I was one, but I got better. :)

Seriously though, I do not see that the hot water helps enough to justify the extra effort. I use water from my canteen, the tap or nearest creek.

As to wax melting from the hot water, I do not believe that the barrel will become hot enough or be heated long enough to cause a problem for the wax under it.

CS

CrackStock said:
The traditional way to clean is to use cold water rather than hot, although the hot water crowd is quite vocal. I know -- I was one, but I got better. :)

Seriously though, I do not see that the hot water helps enough to justify the extra effort. I use water from my canteen, the tap or nearest creek.

As to wax melting from the hot water, I do not believe that the barrel will become hot enough or be heated long enough to cause a problem for the wax under it.

CS

Agreed on all points, hot water is useful (maybe) in helping the barrel to dry, but cold water is far better for cleaning and I have not used hot water in any way in many years. Two barrels full of cold water and the majority of fouling washes out, especially in the breech area. (Sorry, OT, I know.)

As far as waxing or greasing the part of the barrel hidden by the stock to avoid possible rust, can this really be necesary? Viewing literally hundreds of examples over the last thirty years, I have never seen an original gun that has been treated this way and and almost invariably the bottom of the barrel retained its original finish. As a reenactor for almost twenty years I have never seen any evidence of any rust on a barrel below the woodline and I have been out in rainy and snowy weather conditions that would have caused this if it could happen. No offense to anyone but I think we worry too much? :winking:

Back