• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming flask ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas to make a few priming flasks and would like to see what you all have made so do you have any pictures of them???

I was thinking of making them out of antlers.

And what size spout does it take for a flintlock .50 cal??

I'm in the process of making some priming horns out of antlers. Getting better at it - have only screwed two up so far and have one that's coming along. The one I'm working on now has the button base and is about three inches long. I'm using a 3 grain plunger type for a delivery system.

I'm using some brass nut - machine screw combos for the the bottom fill. I just got some fairly thick sheet brass that will be soldered into the screw slot and a hole drilled to allow a thong.

Haven't made any out of antler yet, but have been giving it some thought. Here's a couple of pictures of some I made this winter. The one with the brass valve is 3gr. the other two just have small holes and no valves
00300.jpg

priminghorns.jpg

Soggy

This is not mine, I wish it was...

It one was carved out of alabaster... (I don't even have a time period, just an image)

5.jpg

I bought this priming horn off the board here in the old classified forum.
I forget who it was now. It is serving me well.

000_1588.jpg

I prime from the main horn, but I made three of these "shuttles" for convenience and safety. They hold enough for about 20 shots, then I just refill from the main horn. It's not PC, but much easier than juggling the horn to the pan and trying to dribble out 3 gr. :haha:

IM000579.jpg

I keep one on the backside of the horn strap (where it doesn't show :redface: ). I really ought to get busy and make one from antler . . . someday. :hatsoff:

There are some Ideas at the site below that are not hard to make. I use a 1/2" drill for the main chamber and a 3/16 for the other.[url] http://www.muzzleblasts.com/vol2no6/articles/mbo26-3.html[/url]
I hope it helps Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
From the postings;
Now I know what to do with them horn tips that make too small a measure! :applause: :hatsoff: :haha:

Don't laugh!
I know,, I know! it ain"t too terribly "Period Correct", but here's the one I always seem to use the most.
It was made in a hurry just as I remembered I needed something on the way out the door to the range (about 20 yrs. ago!! :youcrazy: )
Materials;
1- Spent Magic marker
1- nozzle and cap from a 3 in 1 oil type can.
5 minutes time and $0.00 for the bill of materials

(just had to add it here.)
:redface:
PICT0018.jpg

One of these days(?),, I'm going to make anouther just like it using an antler tine, feather quill, and For the small end stopper, something that can be used as a vent pick (remember I like "multi-use" items).

The flat horn on the left was made foe me by Dave K and a superb job he did. The tip/plug is ivory & has a vent pick on the end of it.

The other two I made from rough cow horns. Cut off tip with fitted 1/4" birch dowel pin epoxied in the tip, then I undersize the hole in the horn & slowly scrape the down down til it is a tight fit, then beeswax it & they stay tight & dry. Also notice a lil notch in the tip on each side, that is so I can bite & pull the stopper with my teeth & charge the pan. The ends have a fitted wood plug glued in & then thorn pins retaining them & filed flush. The wood is sealed with Tru-Oil.

Dcp_6964.jpg

The best thing to do, is to use 3f out of your main horn. It works great and means one less thing to carry.

So you are saying that you do not need a prining flask? Just use the 3f for main charge and priming?

I have to agree with Mark on using the same powder for prime as well as load. I use fffg in all my guns with good results. The only time I use a primer anymore is the occasional shoot that won't allow me to prime from the main horn (there aren't many that get upset about me priming from my horn) or when shooting my matchlock using a set of powder bottles on a bandolieer (premeasured powder so no extra in the bottle to prime with).

Yes, I've been doing it for years with excellent results. Just another option. It reduces the fumbling. It's my prefered method.

Latest posts

Back