• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming powder for flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formernuke

32 Cal
Reaction score
I plan on using pyrodex rs for my main powder. Problem is I can't get 4f black powder for the priming pan. Will pyrodex p work just as well?

Nope. Just order some 2f or 3f real black from someplace like Graf and Sons. Use same powder for prime. You’ll be glad you did. I was in the same spot once that you are now. Trying to use black powder substitutes will just cause frustration.

Will 2f or 3f work for priming powder?
Yes. I use 2f (real black) for main charge and prime and I also use 3f for main charge and prime since I have both.

Don’t worry about not having 4f.

(Unless you’re shooting smooth bores in the England🤭)

Last edited:
Back