• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming powder for flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion you are just setting yourself up for trouble using Pyrodex in your Flintlock. Besides further complicating things with figuring out what black to prime with. It will probably become very tiring and frustrating quickly. If it were me just stick to black for the main charge and the prime charge. 2f or 3f will work just fine and unless you are really putting some serious work in with that flintlock you probably will never notice the difference between the two.

Back in 1991 when I bought my first flintlock I had been using Pyrodex P in my revolver and RS in my cap rifle. I called Hodgdon and talked with the guy who developed Pyrodex and asked him if I could use P as a priming powder in a flintlock (I believe he was later killed in an explosion at their plant). He told me not only could I not use the P as a priming powder, but I could not use RS as the main charge unless I used a small amount of real black powder as a starting charge with Pyrodex loaded on top. He said some people were trying that and it would burn a little cleaner. The reason he gave was that the Pyrodex had a higher flash point than real black and the flintlock generally was not hot enough to reliably ignite Pyrodex. That was from the guy who invented Pyrodex.

Back