• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Primitive" shooting at NMLRA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just went to my first NMLRA Spring Shoot. I was looking forward to time on the primitive range.

Out of a few dozen people there on the "primitive" range, my friend and I were the ONLY ones shooting from the bag.

Every single other person was loading from the bench, and using range rods. Half had range boxes.

Several people were in modern clothing - Tshirts, jeans, etc.

Is this what people call "primitive" shooting? Are there any alternatives to the NMLRA version of "primitive" shooting?

I just went to my first NMLRA Spring Shoot. I was looking forward to time on the primitive range.

Out of a few dozen people there on the "primitive" range, my friend and I were the ONLY ones shooting from the bag.

Every single other person was loading from the bench, and using range rods. Half had range boxes.

Is this what people call "primitive" shooting? Are there any alternatives to the NMLRA version of "primitive" shooting?

I would imagine the NMLRA are just trying to get the number of shooters up. Twelve isnt very many. From what I've seen Friendship isn't even a thimble full of what it used to be years ago. Wife and I went there a number of times in the 90's and early 2000's. We stopped by on the way home from vacation two years ago and decided it was nice we were traveling through, because it wouldn't have been worth the gas money to travel from home.

The quality of rifle displayed at builders hall was poor compared to what we had seen in the past. Number of primitive campers was down. Fleamarkets were reduced in size and full of made in china manure. Many of the sheep sheds were empty. Fewer shooters on the line. Just not the same.

Hell, I remember the 1st time I was there, there was a haze of smoke filling the valley, the sound of muzzleloaders going off, a fellow on the hill playing the bagpipes. I had goose bumps it was so awesome. I wish it would be that way again!

That sounds disappointing- I’ve never been there. Maybe “primitive” refers to the condition of the range? 🤣

I started shooting at a club in the early 70s. We shot from the pouch and gradually it all changed.
Your best bet is to find some Rondies and check with the bushways to see what the perameters are.
They are sill around, but you might have to travel.
Good luck
Larry

I was there Saturday the 8th. Not many shooters or people walking around the sale barns. I was told by Dixie Gun works that there were more people on Friday than Saturday. Lots of people at the flea market and camping and miles of vehicles rolling in later in the afternoon.

Many of the sheep sheds were empty.

1000001677.jpg

Maybe Members should petition them change the rules … ?
Be nice to have a REAL primitive range but I think waarp8nt might be right about the nationals just trying to keep the numbers up. The Davy Crocket craze has for sure been lost in this new age of cell phones and social media.
Sad for us old farts :(
Larry

Me and my fellow shooters (who are mostly senior citizens) really like those benches on the range. Some of the guys need to sit and rest after 5 or 6 shots.
I get it. I'm geriatric, too.

But if I want to shoot on a bench, I don't go to the off-hand line and take up a space with a bench. There's a place for bench shooting. I don't ruin other shooter's experience by setting up a bench where it's not appropriate.

Likewise, if I want to shoot with a range box and range rod and chairs, there's a place for that - on the main shooting line. I don't ruin other people's experience there when I set up my range box on the off-hand line.

Last edited:
Be nice to have a REAL primitive range but I think waarp8nt might be right about the nationals just trying to keep the numbers up. The Davy Crocket craze has for sure been lost in this new age of cell phones and social media.
Larry
Dammit boys I ain't all that old, at 53 I'm practically a younin' in this sport. Just like the fur trade, I'm afraid the shining times have come and gone.

Our greatest hope is for a resurgence like we had around the Bicentennial on our 250th Anniversary coming up in 2026. Hell if nothing else, take some green horns out and teach them to shoot. I'm afraid Larry (Omaha) is right, we will be damn lucky if the younin's put down their phones long enough to watch the fireworks.

There isn't enough interest from the members to care about changing the rules.
I must have known F ship in its glory days packed every booth occupied , booming day & night .The Gunmaker s hall & prior to it being built , intense gatherings in an empty booth with such a Loise Sanchez & Lynton Mackenzie giveing how too's on carving & engraving . I was a' booth hopper ' kipped in a horse float. & My fellow Red Hats / 'Widow makers' two huts on the primitive & Herman Marker on the Skeet range & Max Vickery every where , traders across the ditch . Maries pies . I was in' Sarges' booth & did stuff with Ackerman , Mike Lee all his usual Eager beaver self , long talks with George Shumway & Jerry Cunningham ,Me' juggling ' with out letting go of the stones ! the very agreeable Jim Chambers & me rendering" Oh don't sell our Edger No more violins !" Bill Cox of L&R, and the Gunmakers matches where you where supposed to barrack the shooters .firing their one shot . I didn't shoot much just bought & sold hot dusty teeming with activity .did' 17 Easterns ' (Plus any' gig' going of any period , Had Far too much fun ) But the in lines came & I drew a line at them abominations 'plus I got married and family finished of my flexibility . but My I had a good run.
Rudyard

The Davy Crocket craze has for sure been lost in this new age of cell phones and social media.
That's true for a lot of events and organizations, not just muzzleloading. Membership everywhere is plummeting. Events everywhere are smaller and smaller.

Kids nowadays feel that it's easier to stay home and go virtual shooting on their game consoles than to actually get out and shoot a real flintlock.

I get it. I'm geriatric, too.

But if I want to shoot on a bench, I don't go to the off-hand line and take up a space with a bench. There's a place for bench shooting. I don't ruin other shooter's experience by setting up a bench where it's not appropriate.

Likewise, if I want to shoot with a range box and range rod and chairs, there's a place for that - on the main shooting line. I don't ruin other people's experience there when I set up my range box on the off-hand line.
Remember: I'm talking about SITTING benches, not shooting benches. You know, a place to spend some azz time....

Dammit boys I ain't all that old, at 53 I'm practically a younin' in this sport. Just like the fur trade, I'm afraid the shining times have come and gone.

Our greatest hope is for a resurgence like we had around the Bicentennial on our 250th Anniversary coming up in 2026. Hell if nothing else, take some green horns out and teach them to shoot. I'm afraid Larry (Omaha) is right, we will be damn lucky if the younin's put down their phones long enough to watch the fireworks.
...Yer a dang TEENAGER.....

Remember: I'm talking about SITTING benches, not shooting benches. You know, a place to spend some azz time....
And I'm talking about the SHOOTING BENCHES they put in the PRIMITIVE AREA, so people can load from their RANGE BOXES while in the PRIMITIVE range.

Maybe Members should petition them change the rules … ?
I think the leadership at NMLRA doesn't have any respect or desire for primitive shooting.

Back