• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Primitive" shooting at NMLRA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The so-called "Primitive Range" area at Friendship is just an afterthought for most of the shooters there. They are, and always have been, primarily shed/bench/tackle box/known distance/bulls-eye muzzleloaders. Buckskinners are 2nd class citizens there. In 1993 they sent a team to the Western National Rendezvous in Colorado, who announced that the camp would adhere to NMLRA Rules or they would "remove the elected Booshway and staff and run it themselves."

Many years ago. In the 60’s the person who organized the flea market had a large booth in the sheep shed. He had it for a few years. He began selling a lot of stuff that was not related to muzzleloading. So they , those in charge, told him he needed to sell muzzleloading stuff or he could not set up. He was upset and purchased the property of what is now the Flea Market and has his two big events atvthe same time as the national shoots. That gentleman passed a few years ago. He was a good businessman but just had different interests.
What he was selling were full bottles of whisky. Some of us are old enough to have been there when this all went down. The current flea market property was offered to the NMLRA at $1,000.00 per acre. The Board at that time thought that that was highway robbery! There have been many regrets since. The NMLRA did buy the land on the other side of the Flea Market to box him in.

I bought one item at the flea market this year. A concrete rat fink statue that I painted for my papaw. He's into hot rods and like Ed Roth. Other than that, it was the same stuff that was for sale last year.
1000001326.jpg
1000001328.jpg
1000001329.jpg
1000001327.jpg

What he was selling were full bottles of whisky. Some of us are old enough to have been there when this all went down. The current flea market property was offered to the NMLRA at $1,000.00 per acre. The Board at that time thought that that was highway robbery! There have been many regrets since. The NMLRA did buy the land on the other side of the Flea Market to box him in.
Big Jim Beam bottle collector from what I heard. Dumped out the whiskey, resold it, and kept the bottles for his collection.

My first trip to friendship was back in the 70's and for many years I went to both shoots sometimes even if it was only for a couple days. The Sheep Sheds were overflowing with Mom and Pop vendors from all over the country. Most of those little shops are no longer with us. The last few years have been brutal on them with the prices of the materials they used going up many more have given up. For those who are still trying it has probably become prohibitively expensive to make the trip to Friendship. The NMLRA has nothing to do with the flea markets and doesn't schedule the shoots to coincide with them. In fact it is just the opposite, The people running the flea markets schedule them to coincide with the shoots. It has always been a pain trying to get in and out on the weekends.

Yes my primary interest was the main range but when I had shot my matches I would go over and shoot the primitive and many of the guys I shot with would do the same. There never was a lot of primitive matches but seem to be even less now. Who's fault is that? If you go down the main range you will see people who are interested in those matches who have volunteered their time to run those ranges. I am sure they would prefer to be shooting. I wonder how many even know there is a shotgun range, it isn't exactly easy to get to. Well it was the people who wanted to shoot shotguns who made that possible. If you want more primitive matches there is a form on the site you can fill out and submit on what type of match you would like to SPONSOR. Get certified as a range officer and get a couple of your buddies to do the same so that you aren't stuck running it everyday by yourself. That is how you get new matches. Why should someone else be expected to do all the work to cater to what you want if you aren't willing to pitch in and help?

OK, so let's talk.Since I run the Primitive Range and have for several years I know a bit about it. Yes the matches directly behind the Blockhouse have loading areas . We have many people who show up at 9 am when we open and leave at 4pm when we close. Shade is nice. If you were there in the early 80s as I was you would know we have several big shade trees , now gone. Something else most are not old enough to remember.... the Primitive Range did not even open till Wed of the shoot and even on that day the match open was the Bill Large match. Real shooting began on Thurs and ended on Saturday. If anyone saying the did not see loading from the bag, then it's quite obvious they did not even cross the creek there at the Blockhouse. EVERY match up the Valley is from the bag and horn. Most not allowing range rods either. The matches up the Valley the ones I call the Legacy matches require costume, most requiring a flintlock and load from bag and horn . I simply do not how much more "Primitive" I can make it. In 1981 there was something like 6 or 8 matches total. Now there is something like 40. We added matches to give the shooters something to do the rest of the week.Saying something like the NMLRA does not respect the Primitive Range is pure BS. I am also a Director of the NMLRA so I know what goes on. How many are aware that the Primtive range shows more profit than any other range down there , all of them. It does seem the people who actually buy matches and shoot on my range like it a lot. Those who come up take a quick look and walk off, maybe not so much. . Now having said all this , here's your chance the improve the range . I retire from the job come September after 7 years on the job. We are looking for a new person to ramrod it. Those of you have ideas on how it should be run, here's your chance. Send me your name and address and I will pass them on to the Chief Range Officer and the President. Figure about 80 hours during the shoot working and with no pay. Send me names guys.

Ive been to f ship many times and have often wondered why they schedule a national shoot at the same time as that mess of a flea market that peddles nothing but manure.
The traffic is horrible and I ve heard that the traditional venders benefit very little from people that go to the flea markets.
To me the 2 events shouldn't coincide. Ive talked to few shooters who wont go anymore because because of crowds and congestion caused by the flea market nightmare.
Shooters are shooters and flea marketers are flea marketers and shouldn't be tossed into the same bag on the same week.
JMO
It's not scheduled the same week as the fleas. The other way around. We were there first, they came along to feed off us. You can schedule the shoots anythime you want, the fleas will just change dates to coincide .
And I'm talking about the SHOOTING BENCHES they put in the PRIMITIVE AREA, so people can load from their RANGE BOXES while in the PRIMITIVE range.

I think the leadership at NMLRA doesn't have any respect or desire for primitive shooting.

Kip would know the whole story. He's been down there longer than me even.Hope you feel better Kip.

I Don't know what they do now but the primitive shoot used to refer more to the targets and less to the shooters. Some places give you extra points for shooting out of the bag. It has been along time for me. So like I said I don't know what they do anymore

I just went to my first NMLRA Spring Shoot. I was looking forward to time on the primitive range.

Out of a few dozen people there on the "primitive" range, my friend and I were the ONLY ones shooting from the bag.

Every single other person was loading from the bench, and using range rods. Half had range boxes.

Several people were in modern clothing - Tshirts, jeans, etc.

Is this what people call "primitive" shooting? Are there any alternatives to the NMLRA version of "primitive" shooting?

04B3576D-88C6-47F4-B2E4-7679F1818B19.jpeg

This could be considered primitive…. I guess, depending on what period of time one chooses.

As justtim mentioned, there’s a lot more shooting on the primitive range than just at the Blockhouse..

B0CE5E5B-1167-4094-9192-FA7ED4EFE3C1.jpeg

Several matches go unseen, especially for a 1 st timer.

D07F410F-AF41-4327-9B46-2006E27052B2.jpeg

View attachment 329562

This could be considered primitive…. I guess, depending on what period of time one chooses.

As justtim mentioned, there’s a lot more shooting on the primitive range than just at the Blockhouse..

View attachment 329563

View attachment 329564

View attachment 329562

View attachment 329563

View attachment 329564

That young man pulling the cart has shotguns so he's obviously heading up to Thursday's Feather Duster match up the Valley. He's lugged that cart a good 3/8 of a mile before he gets to the range it's shot on and I guess some would have me make him wear buckskins and mocs to be official. I've got 3 young men in their 80s shooting every day we are open and I will absolutely bend over backwards to keep them shooting even if I have to haul them around in a golf cart. I hope my successor follows suit because in a few short years I'll be the 80 year old and I want to keep shooting.

My first trip to friendship was back in the 70's and for many years I went to both shoots sometimes even if it was only for a couple days. The Sheep Sheds were overflowing with Mom and Pop vendors from all over the country. Most of those little shops are no longer with us. The last few years have been brutal on them with the prices of the materials they used going up many more have given up. For those who are still trying it has probably become prohibitively expensive to make the trip to Friendship. The NMLRA has nothing to do with the flea markets and doesn't schedule the shoots to coincide with them. In fact it is just the opposite, The people running the flea markets schedule them to coincide with the shoots. It has always been a pain trying to get in and out on the weekends.

Yes my primary interest was the main range but when I had shot my matches I would go over and shoot the primitive and many of the guys I shot with would do the same. There never was a lot of primitive matches but seem to be even less now. Who's fault is that? If you go down the main range you will see people who are interested in those matches who have volunteered their time to run those ranges. I am sure they would prefer to be shooting. I wonder how many even know there is a shotgun range, it isn't exactly easy to get to. Well it was the people who wanted to shoot shotguns who made that possible. If you want more primitive matches there is a form on the site you can fill out and submit on what type of match you would like to SPONSOR. Get certified as a range officer and get a couple of your buddies to do the same so that you aren't stuck running it everyday by yourself. That is how you get new matches. Why should someone else be expected to do all the work to cater to what you want if you aren't willing to pitch in and help?
I need to clarify something. There are way more matches than ever . Back when I started the program for Primitive was maybe 1 page in the shoot now there's 3 . We added all the re entry matches years ago so the folks had more shooting. I just now counted the matches in the current program and count 52 matches. In the old days there were less than a dozen. I think it best to rather than assume what's up there or what you have heard is up there is to actually come up and take a tour. Remember, the range is NOT just behind the Blockhouse. It goes a 1/4 mile BEYOND the Blockhouse. Ethan Yazel has made some great videos on You Tube about some of the matches. I have signs showing daily what is open up the Valley. Come see.

I need to clarify something. There are way more matches than ever . Back when I started the program for Primitive was maybe 1 page in the shoot now there's 3 . We added all the re entry matches years ago so the folks had more shooting. I just now counted the matches in the current program and count 52 matches. In the old days there were less than a dozen. I think it best to rather than assume what's up there or what you have heard is up there is to actually come up and take a tour. Remember, the range is NOT just behind the Blockhouse. It goes a 1/4 mile BEYOND the Blockhouse. Ethan Yazel has made some great videos on You Tube about some of the matches. I have signs showing daily what is open up the Valley. Come see.
Do you know if there is a lot of people going to Ethan's trekking weekend in November?

https://www.ilovemuzzleloading.com/2024-trekking-weekend

Do you know if there is a lot of people going to Ethan's trekking weekend in November?

https://www.ilovemuzzleloading.com/2024-trekking-weekend
From the online and in person feedback I've got so far, I'm expecting 50 or so but I hear more everyday. Life happens though, and things come up so could be more, could be less. I'm going to be pricing firewood here soon. Not sure how much fallen wood there is for us to use with these numbers.

OK, so let's talk.Since I run the Primitive Range and have for several years I know a bit about it. Yes the matches directly behind the Blockhouse have loading areas . We have many people who show up at 9 am when we open and leave at 4pm when we close. Shade is nice. If you were there in the early 80s as I was you would know we have several big shade trees , now gone. Something else most are not old enough to remember.... the Primitive Range did not even open till Wed of the shoot and even on that day the match open was the Bill Large match. Real shooting began on Thurs and ended on Saturday. If anyone saying the did not see loading from the bag, then it's quite obvious they did not even cross the creek there at the Blockhouse. EVERY match up the Valley is from the bag and horn. Most not allowing range rods either. The matches up the Valley the ones I call the Legacy matches require costume, most requiring a flintlock and load from bag and horn . I simply do not how much more "Primitive" I can make it. In 1981 there was something like 6 or 8 matches total. Now there is something like 40. We added matches to give the shooters something to do the rest of the week.Saying something like the NMLRA does not respect the Primitive Range is pure BS. I am also a Director of the NMLRA so I know what goes on. How many are aware that the Primtive range shows more profit than any other range down there , all of them. It does seem the people who actually buy matches and shoot on my range like it a lot. Those who come up take a quick look and walk off, maybe not so much. . Now having said all this , here's your chance the improve the range . I retire from the job come September after 7 years on the job. We are looking for a new person to ramrod it. Those of you have ideas on how it should be run, here's your chance. Send me your name and address and I will pass them on to the Chief Range Officer and the President. Figure about 80 hours during the shoot working and with no pay. Send me names guys.
Don't confuse people with the facts!

Saying something like the NMLRA does not respect the Primitive Range is pure BS.
I'm calling B.S. on this. I was there for the spring shoot. The whole thing was a bit of a **** show, not just the primitive range. It was my first NMLRA event, but all I heard from old timers was how good the shoots used to be, but recent mismanagement has driven people away. And the facilities - yikes! The bathroom and showers at the campgrounds were the most ghetto and disgusting campground facilities that I have ever used anywhere in the USA. I heard the NMLRA has a million dollars, the organization certainly doesn't spend it on maintaining and upgrading the facilities.

I'm calling B.S. on this. I was there for the spring shoot. The whole thing was a bit of a **** show, not just the primitive range. It was my first NMLRA event, but all I heard from old timers was how good the shoots used to be, but recent mismanagement has driven people away. And the facilities - yikes! The bathroom and showers at the campgrounds were the most ghetto and disgusting campground facilities that I have ever used anywhere in the USA. I heard the NMLRA has a million dollars, the organization certainly doesn't spend it on maintaining and upgrading the facilities.

I’ve heard it’s too wet, it’s too hot , its too far and it’s too much walking …
Cry me a river…

7FC8A954-9C92-4BC9-B121-7C4C42ED6B1E.jpeg

8F498A80-19BB-4A4F-9149-818910394AC2.jpeg

It’s not for everyone I guess…..🤷‍♂️
Got any pics of you and your attire…?
Did you camp? Tent or tin teepee?

If it was such a dreadful experience, I definitely would not go back….

Geees , I’m glad the weather was nice!🤣

Latest posts

Back