• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problem getting spark thru to powder... Help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpage

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey Guru's and others,
So my CVA 50 Mountain is having a problem. The percussion caps are no problem. Tryed thin copper wire and plenty of barrel scruppings.

The question is how to clear the "Clog"?

Attachments

• CVAhammer.jpg
    CVAhammer.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 3
Looks like the clean out screw has been removed and replaced many times, get an Allen head set screw to replace it, you won’t be sorry.. I’d recommend pulling the barrel, remove the nipple and pump some soapy water in and out thru the drum. If you have a patent breech, this is the surest way to get it clean. And, if you have a patent breech that has been fouled for a long period, it’ll take some scrubbing to clear. Then throughly dry, reassemble and give it a go. If you can find a friend with a bore scope, take a look at the breech area.

It could be that a tiny piece of percussion cap is lodged inside the nipple. I had that happen to me once. Take out the nipple and try to look through it. If there is something in there, you should see it. Run a thin wire through the nipple.
It could also be that the nipple is fine, and you have too much oil or other matter inside the drum or at the breech of the gun that is getting the powder corrupted.

Thanks for those reply's..

So how do I remove the nipple assembly? Like the idea of replacing allen head for the slot screw. That screw is fused on. Any Pro tips?

Thanks for those reply's..

So how do I remove the nipple assembly? Like the idea of replacing allen head for the slot screw. That screw is fused on. Any Pro tips?
If you don’t have a #11 nipple wrench, buy one. Use an open end for removal until you get one. When reinstalling, apply hi temp lithium grease to nipple threads. I wouldn’t recommend removing the drum, no need really. Ask around, somebody will tell you how to get the screw out.

Do you have access to a steam cleaner? If you do, remove the nipple and give the breech area an extended blast of steam through the threaded nipple hole in the drum. You will be surprised with the amount of crud the steam will knock loose.

Last edited:
What powder are you using? If it’s pyrodex, stop using it and borrow some 3 or even 4 f REAL black powder. I had a mowery percussion that was only reliable with 3 or 4 f real black, the venting under the nipple was so small , only a small grained powder would flow back where it needed to be.

Another way to get crud out of a patent breech is to use .22 brush to get down inside it. Hot soapy water should do it though if it ain't really plugged up. Don't use hot for normal cleaning though, just warm.

OK will try some of those great suggestions.

No nipple wrench but lots of open end wrenches Thanks!

OK will try some of those great suggestions.

No nipple wrench but lots of open end wrenches Thanks!
Mmmmm .... I wouldn't do it that way. Too little room around the nipple to get a tight and secure fit. You're likely to end up damaging the nipple and/or the stock. Nipple wrenches aren't that expensive.

It looks to me like that nipple needs to be replaced anyway. Maybe it's these old eyes, but it does look to me like it's slightly deformed.

FWIW, I remove the nipple and drop it in a bucket of tepid water with a touch of Dawn dish soap. I then use the plunger method until the barrel is clean. Dry with patches, then shoot compressed air into the nipple hole. Shoot air into the nipple too, but hang on to it. You should see daylight through the nipple. Oil with whatever concoction you think works, store muzzle down at least overnight, then run a dry patch then a LIGHTLY oiled patch down the barrel, then reinstall nipple.

That clean-out screw has been assaulted by some ham-fisted amateur with the wrong turnscrew. Remove the barrel from the stock, remove the nipple, set in a yogurt container and cover the drum with Kroil. While waiting order Chapmans Gunsmithing Screwdrivers (or better if so inclined. My Chappys are over 40 yo.). With a properly fitting screwdriver bit, try every 12 hours to loosen the screw. It will eventually give up and come out. Use a slotting file to clean up the screw slot. Reinstall with a bit of Neversieze.

Bob's your uncle.

So got it out and routed with some .24 then .14 ga copper wire.

Did order some new nipples as suggested, and a proper nipple wrench for install.
Thanks to all for valuable tips. Here is todays image...

Attachments

• cva nipple.jpg
    cva nipple.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Its all rainbows and unicorns going forward when the parts arrive.

Thanks again the helps worked well.

That "clean out" screw is sort of like an appendix as it is a left over from the manufacturing process used to drill the flash channel from the nipple seat through the drum to the powder chamber. It is a plug for that process and never needs to be used again. It is better to file the slot away and forget about it. Sure, there are some who routinely remove the plug in the drum and think they can clean the bore better than removing the nipple. Some think it is easier to remove that plug to add powder to clear a dry ball than removing the nipple to add powder. The plugs are made of soft steel, and it is way too easy to damage the slot. Leave the "clean out" screw alone!

Often the "cleanout screw is damaged and replaced by a longer screw that interferes with the nipple or blocks the hole in the nipple.

@waksupi is absolutely correct.

Latest posts

Back