• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

problem with my 36 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham1900

32 Cal.
Reaction score
ive got a 36 cal traditions shenandoah i just recently picked up. the gun shot great the first day i was able to get out and shoot it probuably put at least 10 to 15 rnds through it but then the next day the gun wouldnt fire ended up having to get the ball puller out and pull the ball and i still couldnt get the powder out with my ball discharger any suggestions on what i did wrong or what could of happened? im running777 with factory nipple and #10 caps any help or insight would be greatly appreciated

What type of patch lube are you using and how many grains of powder? Sounds like you've got some un-burnt powder blocking the touch hole at the breech, or possibly too much moisture from the patch lube.

The fact that it shot well the first day but not at all the next should tell you there was something wrong with your cleaning routine. Most likely you have a bunch of wet oily gunk blocking the breechplug and drum passages. On Traditions percussion guns the nipple drum threads through the barrel wall and on half way into the breech plug itself. The narrow passage through the drum connects with a narrow powder chamber in the breechplug, forming a narrow "L" shaped passage between nipple and bore. That complex passage is easily blocked so that fire of the cap will never reach the powder.
There is a "clean-out screw" in the end of the drum. Remove both the nipple and the clean out screw and run a pipe cleaner through there to clean out as much gunk as possible. Then after reinstalling those items pop a cap with the muzzle pointed downward toward some grass or dust so that you can see it the cap blast is moving things. Make a habit of popping a cap before you load to assure the passage is clear. It's really not the best design but can be made to work if you take pains with it.

I second that. I was also going to suggest running a scraper down it a couple times too to help free up any gunk that could be left over as well.

You need to get into the habit of running a patch down the barrel and then pop the caps. When you pull the patch out it should have a burned spot on the bottom of the patch. If it does not have the burn spot, don't load it as you have a problem. As others have said you need to clean out the area from the clean out screw into the barrel.

i started out with popping a cap and it moved the leaf i was shooting i ran patches through the night before until there was nothing left on the patch im useing a combination of murphys cleaning oil hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alchol equal parts it keeps the barrel clean through out the day and there wasnt much build up bc of it last ball loaded like the first i dont klnow if its me or the powder or could there really be that much build up that i missed if my patches are clean and a cap goes through with no problem?

If you popped a cap before loading the 2nd day and then couldn't blow any powder out with a ball discharger after pulling the ball with a screw... there probably wasn't any powder in there.
Forgetting the powder happens. It's called dry-balling. Everybody does it sooner or later.

You do need to clean the nipple and flash channel during every cleaning session. If there was powder loaded either the powder got fouled or there was a blockage in the nipple or flash channel.

IMHO nothing beats good old fashioned water for cleaning. And lots of it.

Several more suggestions. I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but after each firing, I run my clean spit-patch down the barrel to clean and kill any remaining embers. Then I use a vent pick to make certain the nipple is open. Also, once you work it out and your gun is firing again, put 2 small marks on ramrod, one for empty and the other loaded. That way you'll never question if there is something left in the barrel. If there is you'll see it.

Also, about forgetting to load the powder.... I do it all too often. So try to develop a rhythm to your loading sequence, and don't talk while loading. If you follow those rules, you'll probably forget the powder less often then I do. :rotf:

Happy Shooting!

Besides cleaning the breach though the clean out i use a 22cal brush with a patch from the barrel end of the breach.

thanks for all the help think the problem was my powder went and shot real bp last weekend gun went off with out a hitch but all the help made me stop beating myself up as to what went wrong again thanks

Back