• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper flint installation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personaly use leather on every flintlock I have, I've never tried lead and leather seems to work just fine for me. As far as how to put the flint in, there really is no wrong way or right way, it's just a matter of how it[url] sparks.In[/url] my Bess it seems to do better with the bevel down, meaning the flat part is on top. in my Hatfield rifle, it seems to work best with bevel down. In my Dragoon pistol, the bevel up seems to do best. It's really a crapshoot, now go out and shoot the thing and make some noise and smoke!! Have fun!! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is a link to a reply to this question in an earlier thread. It includes photos I took trying to see if I could see a difference between leather and lead. Draw your own conclusions. Different locks may act differently. This was done with a large Siler that has been a testbed for many experiments.

[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...ather+vs+lead+experiment/fromsearch/1/#388641[/url]

Regards,
Pletch

I like a flattened lead ball to hold the flint. I've used leather but I think lead holds better and sparks more. Adjust the flint so that it almost touches the frizzen at half cock. Try bevel up and down for your particular lock. Most I've seen like bevel down. Good luck.

I think lead on the bottom and leather on the top or vice versa would be the ideal compromise.....everyone would be satisfied?....Fred

flehto said:
I think lead on the bottom and leather on the top or vice versa would be the ideal compromise.....everyone would be satisfied?....Fred
Well.....I don't know....instead of one on the top of the flint and one on the bottom, how about leather wrapped lead over the flint...or do you think lead wrapped leather would do a better job?? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This is all of course very tongue in cheek. If you really want to see all the discussion that has gone on about whether lead wrap or leather wrap is better, please use the search facility on the forum and you will find more discussion than you can shake a stick at. It comes up every few months and we've just been through it all so many times, we need to laugh at it to keep our sanity.

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

A serious post from Germany:

Was it not fact that lead wrapping only was used from the military? The civilian hunters used in most cases leather. This is the kind of knowledge about the theme we have here in Germany.

Regards

Kirrmeister

That is the way it was historically in the US. Mostly, that is the way it is now days too. These guys just like to auger every once in awhile. It's all good natured. It's the american way. :haha:

I just happened to have this photo of a Dutch rifle up for something else, but it has leather pads on the jaws the way I make them. What's wierd is that there are double layers top and bottom, and the inside layers APPEAR to be....lead!!! Freaky.
[url] www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/?action=view&current=Dutchmaple.jpg[/url]

Very nice experiment there Pletch, Mythbusters would be proud :) I agree with what you came up with, there doesn't seem to be much if any difference in performance and spark with leather vs lead for holding the flint. I must therefore stick to my original thought, figure out what works for you and go with it :thumbsup:

Well, I was going to post a pic of my "leaded" flint. Guess you can't do that here.

Anyway, it seemed to work well with leather during my first shooting session, and lead seems to work well, too.

The cool thing about using lead is, I was able to get my hands on twenty round balls that were taken directly from Davy Crockett's possibles bag at the Alamo. I hammered them down into a sheet of lead.

I'll be paying tribute to Davy Crockett with every shot! ;-) What, you don't believe me? It's what the guy at the pawn shop told me!

Hey Hickock,

You can post pictures here, but they have to be hosted somewhere else. Photobucket is often used. You upload the pictures to Photobucket, then use the little mountain icon located above the message window to specify the url where the picture is located. It's really not that hard, give it a shot.

I was really worried about that Davy Crockett lead there for a minute... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

Lock.jpg

ok hickok, here is the straight skinny. you have heard the rest, now hear the best.

this is my way; for hunting or a timed match the flints are wraped in lead. the flints are prepared thusly,,,

wrap the flint, pinch the lead on the side of the flint so it is secure in the wrap and does not move..

next fit the flint to the jaws and frizzen. (drop in fit)

'proof' the flint by flashing it 5 times.

remove flint, put it in your bag and make 4 more.

now in an 'instant' you can swap out a damaged flint. with one that has been fitted and proofed.

for regular shooting when time is not critical, leather is used for the wrap..

this is the only way to go... the other ways are :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :rotf: :rotf:

..ttfn..grampa.. :grin:

So you don’t use them for gloves at all,huh? I use nothing but the finest rawhide applied damp and let it dry and set hard,and if I find a pair of them gloves? I’ll put my hands in em’( they sound costly)

I use whatever leather that fits and install the flint however it'll make good sparks and doesn't go flying off into the dirt when the trigger is pulled.

wm

Back