• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Durango Kelly

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello new to muzzleloaders. Despite my research my buddy an old timer said I can use the same FF I use in my 50 calibre in my 45 muzzleloader pistol , like I said new to all this and my own research said FFF. My home town has one outdoors store and it doesn’t carry muzzleloader supplies so in my 50 calibre rifle I’m using Pyrodex equivalent. Thanks and cheers

Any black powder or Pyrodex will work, some better than others. If you only have one then use it. The Pyrodex doesn’t work well in any flintlock but a cap lock is OK.
I have used ffg black powder in my 54 calibre Lyman pistol with complete satisfaction.
Awesome thank you! It’s a percussion cap from a build your own kit from the 1970s I come across still in the box about a month ago.

There are still no real standards. We have various BP substitutes and 777 3F is super fine, Pyro P is pretty course. GOEX is closer to Pyro RS (and yes the substitutes are driven by burn rates and makeup).

Now in a given mfgs lineup, I am sure you can easily see the grades but across the board the makeup even for true Black is different between mfgs.

Hello new to muzzleloaders. Despite my research my buddy an old timer said I can use the same FF I use in my 50 calibre in my 45 muzzleloader pistol , like I said new to all this and my own research said FFF. My home town has one outdoors store and it doesn’t carry muzzleloader supplies so in my 50 calibre rifle I’m using Pyrodex equivalent. Thanks and cheers
Everyone has their preferences, and some are willing to about fight to the death to make their point. And yep, I have my opinions and preferences. But I’m guessing in your case what I or anyone has to say may not matter. From your profile I see you are in Ontario, and while I have been to Ontario more times than I could even begin to guess, I am not familiar with the local availability or local regulations, though the rumor we hear in the states is that procurement of blackpowder can be difficult.

That said, what actual blackpowder or blackpowder substitutes can you easily get? That would create your short list of powders to initially try. As long as you are not shooting a flintlock (real blackpowder is your friend with a flintlock), there is a good chance that you can make most any substitute powder or real blackpowder granulation work to your satisfaction. Experiment a bit, figure out what works best, then stock up to the legal limit. Most muzzleloaders are very forgiving with how and what you load them with, though there are guidelines and practicality limits.

Welcome to the world of muzzleloaders.

Last edited:
My pistols are in .32,
45, and
50. Right now I shoot Pyro FF equivalent in all of them with no problems. I prefer real black but nobody around here sells it. So I'm stuck with Pyro until I complete my learning of making real black. If that's what you've got it should work just fine. Unless your pistol is a flintlock.

Try your pistol with (I am assuming you have Pyrodex RS) and work up your best accuracy load. Then take a couple 100grs of RS and carefully grind it up a little. Read Mortar and Pestle, or pop bottle and old glass dish. Not a fine powder but just about half the size of the RS granules. Just close to the Pyrodex P grade. Then play with that a little. Then you can decide if you need to buy some Pyrodex P or just use the RS.
You can do the same thing with coarse Black Powder (Fg) if that were all you had and make some priming powder for your flintlock or small bore pistol powder.
Old Shepherd

Latest posts

Back