• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purty guns for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the rare occasions I've ever owned a new vehicle it didn't take a week for some fool in a parking lot to run a grocery basket into it or scrape it pulling in or out of a neighboring slot. But it can go another 10 years without picking up another ding.

Same goes for purty guns. I can't use em a week without dinging them, but then the wear and tear kinda slows down. Gotta have a ding or two to work right in my hands!

Every time I find a new sratch or dent, I look at it and make that inhaling air sucking through the teeth "SSSSS" sound. What bugs me is I never know where they came from, I just look down, and there's a new one :idunno: :cursing: . Bill

Jethro224 said:
Guns are made for hunting no matter how pretty they are to look at. A few scratches just add character. :thumbsup:
Is it practical to spend money on an ugly gun that you don't like to look at, and don't care anything about? :idunno: Not to me it isn't.

Truer words have never been spoken! :thumbsup:

Skychief

Skychief said:
Jethro224 said:
Guns are made for hunting no matter how pretty they are to look at. A few scratches just add character. :thumbsup:
Is it practical to spend money on an ugly gun that you don't like to look at, and don't care anything about? :idunno: Not to me it isn't.

Truer words have never been spoken! :thumbsup:
Skychief

Amen...hunted my newest and most expensive Flintlock this season... 'The Settler' did herself proud filling several deer tags, then went to work on the squirrel population...next up, turkeys in the spring.

Oh yeah...and I'll hunt mine on the ground, in trees, from ladders, standing, sitting, crawling, in the open or thick trees and brush. Key word is: "MINE"
:thumbsup:

C10121062cal10Pointer.jpg

I get what you're saying about the guns with fancy engraving and everything being too "purty" to take hunting but taking better care of it would also help. I go through lots of briers each day while hunting and climb treestands and such, but I would feel totally comfortable with a flintlock longrifle. However, if I were to have a nice longrifle built I wouldn't have much engraving done on it I would try getting more of "poor boy" styled rifle. In my opinion get a better lookin' gun instead of that ugly firestorm.

It's not about the hunting. Its about how good you look doing it.

2007BearHunt010.jpg

And what the hell is a tree stand?

I built my virginia with the nicest wood they had and it doesn't bother me a bit to take her hunting, now she has nicks dings and a nice patina, I love her more than when she was new, but I understood she would get dinged up when I decided to have her built.

I just sat out this morning with Cherry Girl: 14° and 20 to 30 mph wind and snowing. NASTY cold. Over the years she's been scratched, dented, picked up some rust and been a good hunting companion.

I ain't gettin any younger, either.

I figure I'm only here once so I might as well hunt with something purty.

Having made my rifle, I know I have the ability to repair, modify, refinish or even restock my rifle if it becomes necessary.

Having this knowledge is probably another reason I don't baby it.

I've hunted with some pretty high dollar guns and fished multi thousand dollar bamboo fly rods.
They were built to be used, and people who use such things care for them well.
I remember the time I put the first ding on the stock of a brand new Browning shotgun I'd just bought, I was sure ******, but I lived through it and so did the gun.

Capper said:
Flintlock in a tree stand?

Lord help them.

Don't laugh - I use my flinter in a tree stand all the time.
:grin:

Its not fancy, just a blur ridge BUT I am about to start mt lancaster that will be "purdy" with grade 6 wood on her and I will hunt it hard rain sleet or snow. Building it to use it,

Blackfoot said:
Capper said:
Flintlock in a tree stand?

Lord help them.

Don't laugh - I use my flinter in a tree stand all the time.
:grin:

Its not fancy, just a blur ridge BUT I am about to start mt lancaster that will be "purdy" with grade 6 wood on her and I will hunt it hard rain sleet or snow. Building it to use it,

I laugh at everybody in a tree stand. A flint just seems extra wrong. :idunno:

I have a T/C GreyHawk in .54 . It's a percussion with a SS barrel and synthetic stock. It shoots real well and I never worry about scratches.
The fact that I only paid $90 for it unfired was a big plus, as well. :thumbsup:

JMinnerath said:
I've hunted with some pretty high dollar guns and fished multi thousand dollar bamboo fly rods.
They were built to be used, and people who use such things care for them well.
I remember the time I put the first ding on the stock of a brand new Browning shotgun I'd just bought, I was sure ******, but I lived through it and so did the gun.

When I was 20, I bought a brand new shotgun, my first new gun . The very first time I took it out, I tripped on rock under a bridge and put a huge white gouge in the stock. At first it bothered me, but it grew on me and I became kinda proud of my beauty mark. That and noone saw me trip. :doh:

I build mine to look nice and use for what ever pleases me. One of these days I will no longer be around and my family will be in charge of what happens to my stuff. I'm OK with that and know they will appreciate what they inherit.
Dusty :wink:

All the guns in my rack are "purty" and have been used extensively through the years but none have been abused. My grouse guns of 40 yrs have seen the most use and are still "purty" but have a few "dings" which I completely ignore because I don't think "these dings" add anything to the gun or to the "mysticism" that's in one's mind. I've heard people say that they love their gun or car or whatever...how can an inanimate object be loved? Guns are some of the "tools" I have and whether my "tools" are in the shop or outdoors, they're used but not abused because they do cost some money.I have a hard time believing that dings, dents and scratches lend character to a gun when they're just evidence that the gun was used for it's intended purpose.....Fred

I am a firm believer that a well adorned fancy gun is quite practical to use hunting that is what they are made for or it just as well be made non functional with any sense and good judgement at all one can avoid any major damage to a gun in the field, I have often wondered if the "I have a cheap gun for hunting so as not to ruin a good one" is more of an excuse than a valid reason.

Back