• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purty guns for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dents and dings happen, but there is no reason to abuse a gun. remember, what we call a purty gun was really more the standard of workmanship in the 18th century. they used their guns and took care of them. we should too.

I have a hard time believing that dings, dents and scratches lend character to a gun when they're just evidence that the gun was used for it's intended purpose.....Fred

I think they lend character BECAUSE they're evidence that the gun was used for it's intended purpose.
When I pick up a nice, brand-new, shiny gun I just go OOOOO, purty...
When I pick up an old well-used gun I can't help but wonder about the hunts it's been on and the stories it could tell. To me, that's "character".
A gun, or a woman, can have a few scars and still be beautiful.

My Mom was a quilt maker. She made hundreds of quilts in her 81 years, and gave away most of them, what we didn't use at home.
Nothing agravated her more than someone to say it was too pretty to use, and nothing made her happier than to have someone come up to her and say their quilt was worn and threadbare. She'd make them another one to retire the old one.

Paul and Capper need to come down and go hunting with me, Paul can show me how to not bust brush where I hunt in GA and capper can show me how to kill deer on the ground in the same terrain.

Spot and stalk works great out west, in the swamps of GA, not so much. Paul if you don't want to bust brush you better bring your water wings.

My guns get beat up, it doesn't really bother me just as long as it is mechanically sound and shoots tight. Chris

August West said:
Paul and Capper need to come down and go hunting with me, Paul can show me how to not bust brush where I hunt in GA and capper can show me how to kill deer on the ground in the same terrain.

Spot and stalk works great out west, in the swamps of GA, not so much. Paul if you don't want to bust brush you better bring your water wings.

My guns get beat up, it doesn't really bother me just as long as it is mechanically sound and shoots tight. Chris
The words of an experienced hunter...
:hatsoff:

Hell, If I ain't afraid to take anything this purty through brush, thorn and briar why would I worry about something like a rifle?

HPIM1927.jpg

"Hell, If I ain't afraid to take anything this purty through brush, thorn and briar why would I worry about something like a rifle?
'

Whoosh.....where did all the animals go???? :wink:

Good Heavens, I wouldn't do anything with that! Think of the patina it shows! It will only get more patina in time as well.It does though look a little abused, but not used as much as it should have.

I have hunted in waders in the past, because of the swampy conditions present. I am no stranger to hunting the WET. Where I live in Central Illinois used to be nothing but swamps during the spring and summer months. The Buffalo moved through the area along the ridge tops, left from when the glaciers receded, and left huge mounds of sand and gravel and rocks that formed lateral moraine ridges. There is one such ridge that runs across central Illinois, from the Wabash river, to the Illinois river at Beardstown. It passes North of Bloomington, and goes through Champaign and Urbana, before turning Southeast. Indian tribes that hunted the area in the Fall also followed those same traces, and early stage coaches used the same "roads" to come to town before the railroads made it here in the 1860s.

The only reason farms here are so productive is that the earliest settlers formed Drainage districts, and dug a series of drainage ditches that lowered the water table 8 feet across the entire county.

Farmers now use "Black GOLD: soils from what were the bottoms of those swamps, to produce some of the highest yields of corn and soybeans in the world. But, we don't have to look too far to find some swampy areas that remain.

Hunting heavy brush simply requires you to actually LOOK where you are walking, then look to both sides of you to see if there isn't a small game trail going in roughly the same direction. Go Around brush piles, not through them. That same thorn that will stick you will also stick a deer in the eye. :hmm: :thumbsup:

my rifle was undoubtably an absolute beauty in her day, but how the brass is tarnished, stock was split and repaired, finish is scratched and dinged, ect, and she is still beautiful in my eyes. i think scratches and handling marks just add to the beautie of a gun. if i were to have a rifle made for hunting, id want the curly maple stock, maby engraving on the lock plate and hammer, but steel sights and furnature, just cuz i dont think shiny pollished brass is the best camo lol. but dont buy an ugly gun cuz your scared of scratching up a prudy guy. even if it gets beat to hell and back it will still be purty in your eyes.

Jethro224 said:
I have a hard time believing that dings, dents and scratches lend character to a gun when they're just evidence that the gun was used for it's intended purpose.....Fred

I think they lend character BECAUSE they're evidence that the gun was used for it's intended purpose.
When I pick up a nice, brand-new, shiny gun I just go OOOOO, purty...
When I pick up an old well-used gun I can't help but wonder about the hunts it's been on and the stories it could tell. To me, that's "character".
A gun, or a woman, can have a few scars and still be beautiful.

well put man.

Restocking MLers was just as common as restocking well used CF rifles is today. Sometimes, even the metal parts go back to be refinished! :barf: :shocked2: :rotf: :grin: :thumbsup:

There is NO SHAME in replacing a worn, or broken stock with new wood. The old wood can be saved for the memories, and the new wood can begin to make new memories for the owner. :hatsoff:

Back