• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyramid or Forester Tent?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwpete52

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I going to buy either a Pyramid or Forester Tent. I've never owned either. I've had several tents in the past. Most of the time I just used a diamond fly. I can't do that any longer. I want a one pole tent. I just wondered what the pros and cons of the Pyramid or Forester tents are? What do you guys think about them? Which do you like best?

I have helped set up my friend's lean-pee. It was a bit of a pain trying to get it it up and weather tight. I bought my pyramid and have been very happy with it. I did have the splice put into the pole...I can carry it in the car.

One of these days I am going to build a rack so that I can carry two 16' poles on the truck. Then I will use the two outside pole set-up.

It is nice to have options.

I use a pyramid tent , my nephew has a forester tent and we camp together (when he comes ) The advantage to the forester is that it is lighter, and can be set up with varying floor area. The advantage to the pyramid is that it is quicker to set up, more even floor area , easier to add a floor to and has more "tall room" inside. AS my sons found out several years ago at a polar bear campout that turned nasty , you can fit twelve boyscouts into a 12x12 pyramid.

I have both tents. The Pyramid is a whole bunch easier to set up. Also the Forester dates to the later 1800's.

The best thing about the Pyramid with the pole in the middle is that you can pull yourself up off the ground in the morning. I also have dowels stuck in the pole all over and hang my shooting stuff, capote and buckskin coat.

WB

The worst thing about a pyramid is that they are HOT in the Summer. No air movement. Also if the door leans back then during a rain you will probably get some water in.

They are great one or two man tents with room to actually stand up. If you put a ring on top you can use a rope to hold the tent up and not have to deal with the pole.

I had one for years, just sold it last year. Wall tents are easier to live in at a camp especially if you have a woman with you.

Many Klatch

Great info guys! I think it's the Pyramid for me. I use to only use a fly. I slep on the ground with only a ground cloth and a wool blanket. I gave up the hobby after two open heart surgeries and cancer surgery (I think I'll change my name to "Lucky"). I just can't stand it anymore! I've got to Rendezvous again!!! My 30 year old son will go with me to keep an eye on me. I just need a tent that I can "hide" the non-period stuff. I was a member of the A.L.R.A. Everything had to be documented. Well, now I'm going back with the attitude of having fun. Everything on the outside will be period. The stuff I need (to make it) will be "hidden." Instead of being a longhunter we will spring forward to the mountain man era. I got to tell you that I am very pumped about getting back into it! After all the health issues I sold everything. I'm slowing collecting all of the stuff that I'll need. I've started making some leather goods again for resale to pay for the things I need. I use to make a lot of stuff for the Central and North Texas buckskinners and longhunters. We've lived in Washington State for several years now. I love it out here. If I had to endure the Texas heat and humidity I could never Rendezvous again. Anyway, I'm sorry about going on about my history.

Ever look into a Sibley? It's kinda like a pyramid but round. comes in various sizes and dates back to the 1850's.

Usually I give a thumbs down on the pyrimid tent for both history and usability.

In your case I want to make a total exception. If you are still ticking after open heart and cancer You need the easiest setup available, and the pyrimid wins that hands down. Buy one and enjoy. If I am in camp I will set it up for you.

I've had to do that for several friends this summer. We're all getting older by the day.

Some day I'll probably be riding through canp on one of those little scooters, with antlers attached to the front.

ghost said:
Some day I'll probably be riding through canp on one of those little scooters, with antlers attached to the front.

When I used to do Medieval re-enacting, there was a lady who was in a wheelchair. She put a big stuffed horse on the front. She said it was her horse drawn carriage.

prymids are not hot if vented. My tent is four sided with a triagluar hole front and back at the top about 16 inches high and 12 inches wide at the bottom. I then have a smaller but wider "cap that fits over the top that is about 6 inches loonger than the holes in the tent and vented the same. This way I can rotate the "rain cap" for full ventalation or tie it down down tight for storms.All it takes to rotate the cap is a rope on each cornor which I can then tie down or rotate 90 degrees.This makes for a chimney effect on hot days for cooling, or allows heating the tent with a brasier before going to sleep in cold weather. I might add even with the vent you do not want to go to sleep with a brazier in the tent. CO is heavier than air and settles!

If you go to wood workers central information exchange , scrap pile and look under home sweet home. you will find a picture of my pyrmid tent with the rain cap covering the vent, The tent is vented by rotating the rain cap 90 degrees. Easy to set up, center pole for hanging things on , and pulling your old bones up in the mourning.
edit: the site is woodworking.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
I was really touched by your story, and I think its great that you still want to go. Like ghost I'm useally down on the pyrimids but it will be perfect for you. What ever it takes to get you out and having fun. I would suggest that you get the 12x12 with the teepee door. It helps vent the tent alittle better and the rain wont leak in as easy as one with the slit door. I know cause when I first got into this hobby thats what I had. Now I use a dimound when by myself and a A-tent when my lovely bride comes along. So just go out and have fun. :wink:

Back