• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone tried to make Wedge keys for barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest Smith

32 Cal
Reaction score
I acquired a Lyman Great Plains rifle that did not have it's original Wedge keys for the barrel. I have bought some softer steel and though I could heat up the end of it to hammer a round end on it. As anyone done that, or have a better idea, then to beat the heck on the end to make a "stop" so the key would not go in further into the stock?

I acquired a Lyman Great Plains rifle that did not have its original Wedge keys for the barrel. I have bought some softer steel and thought I could heat up the end of it to hammer a round end on it. As anyone done that, or have a better idea, then to beat the heck on the end to make a "stop" so the key would not go in further into the stock?
And yes, forge a key like you asked can work.

It should be able to be done. I've forged triggers using mild steel by clamping in a vise and start peening the edge with a ball peen hammer. Use the vise jaws to get the flat edge. I've done triggers both cold forging and heating the metal and both worked fine. Then use a file to do your clean up.

I acquired a Lyman Great Plains rifle that did not have it's original Wedge keys for the barrel. I have bought some softer steel and though I could heat up the end of it to hammer a round end on it. As anyone done that, or have a better idea, then to beat the heck on the end to make a "stop" so the key would not go in further into the stock?
Once you have something that will fall into the slot then the next step is to bend it to make it push the right way, to hold the barrel down as you want. If done just right then the wedge will kinda snap into place and hold there rather than wanting to come back out.
I used a WW2 era rail road spike to put that kink in the right spot, so it goes over the hump and then resists falling out on the ground in the middle of nowhere.

Back