• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyramid Tents Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a pyramid tent, and was looking for some feedback about a pyramid style vs. other styles-pros/cons etc. Those of you who have pyramid tents, would you get that style again, or opt for another? I'm not too concerned about being period accurate. Also, any recommendations for a maker of quality canvas tents? Thanks for your input! Jeff

I had one, It wore out, I used it out west a lot and then lived in it for 3 or 3 months from january to bout May while I was buildin my line shack here in Kentucky, (do you know there is a BIG difference between 28 degrease and -9 ) I went thru rain, mud, snow and did 0k, I WILL get nother one soon, Get the stove (small) and have the rear window put in, You won't be sorry if you do,, you will be if you don't. I got mine from http://www.strinztipi.com/, but I just tried to go there and I got there 0k, but it was a blank page,, anyone know what's goin on with em ??

tent.jpg

nother pic,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/tentpic.jpg

Since you are not concerned about being PC, the pyramid tents are very good camp tents, and most of my friends that use them highly recommend the Panther Primitives version. You might find some good used ones on sale as many reenactment sites are banning them (not PC)for 18th century stuff, where wedge and wall tents are better choices.

I would also advise to have a smile shaped flap cut in the floor to sweep out the debris.
Cheers
Pork Pie

I know PC isn't the issue here, but I detest the tipi-styled door, but love the overall design,(With the straight flap door). If it's a pleasent evening, you can tie back the flaps and enjoy the campfire almost like a lean-to.
Also, I'd get one big enough, 15x15 probably, and have a stove pipe insert installed, that way you'll be cozy in any season!
Good luck,
Oh, and you absolutely can't go wrong with either Tentsmiths or Panther.

Mine was a 10x10, and for 2 people (sleepin together or not) it was fine,, with the stove,

Hobbler:
What kind of stove you got in that thing?
I was drooling over that 10x10, but I figgered size and ventilation would'nt allow for a stove so I started sizing up that 15x15.

Skagun
I got to walk out and get the mail so I will take a tape with me and find out the size for you, I know it's not bad, I even put the wood between it and the wall at night for the ladies so they don' have to go out in the night and get more,, I Shall Return..

I have the 12x12 from Panther Primitive and it is great. I have a 3 dog stove from 4 dog stove company and it will drive you out if you stoke it up too high. Wife and I have slept in it during every month except Dec. and Jan.(so far) here in Michigan and have been very comfortable. I would suggest getting the fly for the front, gives some shade in good weather and a bit of protection from rain.

I opted for the pyramid because it is very easy to put up all alone. I realize it is not correct for the period I enjoy (F&I), but it is accepted at the events I have attended so far and for the ease of setup and comfort for the wife it was the one I chose. :results:

I have a panther I think it is a 15 x 15. I bought it used from my brother 8 years ago and I know he had it for at least that long before me. I like it because it is easy to set up and with a stove it stays very cozy any time of year. It has been to deer camp in Nebraska every Nov. since it was new. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is a lot of wasted space around the edges. If I get another tent it will probably be a wall tent or an officers tent.
Don Stringe at Stringe Tipi also makes a great tent and he offers a lifetime warantee.

I have a 10 x 10 from Panther and have been using it for the past 10 years. It has held up excellent. If PC is not a concern: Ease of set-up, minimal pole requiremant, etc. are all pros. Mine has held up wonderfully in all types of weather, rain, snow, ice...and I like the way it holds up in high winds. Seems to hug the ground instead of trying to act like a ship's sail. I use it at rendezvous and also as a hunting tent. I'd buy another. Maybe just a bit bigger for using cots, stove, etc., all at once. I use a small wood stove....picked up at a voo that I was told is the "pup" version of a 3 dog stove. I've seen people make small stoves for these tents out of propane gas tanks for grills. A big stove is just too much. For more PC events I use a monster wedge tent.

Yes they were and contrary to popular beliefs they were used "before" 1840. Most of the PC objectors are thinking F&I, Rev war era, and such but some of us don't portray that far back. Pre 1840 event and it's more PC than a trapper at the big party in a Tipi.

Halfstock

where is your documentation to support this?
I agree with Tipis here. I love the pyrimidal design of the tent, but it's just not represented by period sources. I've heard it said that Parkman mentioned the tent in his chronicle of the Oregon Trail dated 1846, but I scanned the text here and can find no reference to it.
I will get one because it's the most practical tent I've seen, but I can't bring myself to use it in a pre 1840 event.

It really isn't a big deal, but there are paintings that were sketched somewhere between 1835 and 1839 showing several peaked pyramid tents,then the sketch was turned into an oil painting in 1840.
Then you have backwoodsman and ridgerunner logic, a trapper riding a horse, leading 2 more, with another dragging a travois with a tipi with the lining, a cache of furs and misc cooking and trade gear across the rockies and running from the blackfeet just for a 2 week hoorah does not add up no matter whether your talking then or now. But I've said all I'm going to on the subject, I have percieved that minds are allready made up and it would be of no gain to continue.

Halfstock

Hey Halfstock:
Don't take it personally, Nobody's gonna crucify ya for the tent; besides, if they have a problem with the pyramidal design, it's their problem not yours and you don't have to shoulder that burden. The tent is perfectly fine within its limitations. The only time I'd question its use is at a juried event, or if a new reenactor were trying to use it out of its timeline.
I'll have one eventually, but since I only do 18th century, it would only be for my individual excurssions into the woods. you can't deny its functionlity that's for sure.
Cheers!

I wonder if a few of the early drawings are not a diamond shelter but look like a pyrimid????when drawn or painted. also...it was stated you could see travois with tipi and "lining"...what picture was that? Love to see it too. I am not questioning if someone is right or wrong here....just questioning observations or just "in your opinion" material. Then we have the problem of what part of the country this information comes from...and time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back