• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pyrodex in flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could not agree more. Goex is some great stuff. I can not ever remember why I stopped using it years ago. Probably because Pyrodex was so easy to find. Good think I got into flintlocks and came to my senses...(some would argue that point by the way)

I have really been impressed with the Swiss 3f I have been shooting. In the flintlock the Swiss is the main charge and the pan prime. It seems every bit as fast as the Goex 4f in the pan.

I keep finding more cans of Pyrodex in my gun cabinet. To use it up, I tried RS in my flintlock for the complete charge and the priming. It did work, but very slow,and sounded like like a fuse on a firecracker. I think it only worked because I was using good English flints in my Jim Chambers lock.

Using 4f Goex as the primer and RS Pyrodex as the charge resulted in faster, but still slow ignition. A duplex charge of 10 grains Goex and 60 grains Pyrodex work fine with good accuracy.

Pyrodex works will in my percussion rifles and shotguns but I would never buy any more. I think I have only bought two cans. The rest I won in matches years ago. Goex works the best for me and cleanup is the same as with Pyrodex.

Some flintlocks are now being made that will shoot Pyrodex pellets, though I am not sure what the priming must be.

I have shot Pyrodex pellets from my daughter's PA pellet flintlock (Traditions), and using 3F for the prime, I had no problem with ignition. I never tried priming with anything other than black powder. I noticed no difference between the pellets and black powder as far as ignition goes.

I did try shooting loose pyrodex out of a flintlock once, however. I used a traditions deerhunter loaded with 70 grains of pyrodex P behind only a wonder wad. I did use real BP to prime, but I didn't put any down the barrel. The gun went off without any problem. I only tried once, though; so I don't know how reliable it would be for repeated shots. If anyone has tried any more conclusive tests I'd like to know the results. I didn't have enough confidence to seat a PRB on top of pyrodex, I don't like pulling a ball.

Goex works the best for me and cleanup is the same as with Pyrodex.

I agree. In my experience the suggestion that pyrodex residue is easier to clean is a myth. However my son loaded my daughter's rifle (Traditions PA pellet flintlock) after it had fired 12 shots with pyrodex and it was difficult for me to load after 3 shots with BP. This is not a concern to me, though, since the rifle will be used almost exclusively for hunting.

Just wondering why you are concerned about black powder availability in the future? With all the muzzleloader seasons across the country, I would think there would be plenty of demand to keep the manufacturers busy. Do you know something I don't? I guess I'm lucky with a Cabela's store 1/2 mile from my house.

Just wondering why you are concerned about black powder availability in the future? With all the muzzleloader seasons across the country, I would think there would be plenty of demand to keep the manufacturers busy. Do you know something I don't? I guess I'm lucky with a Cabela's store 1/2 mile from my house.

Didn't know Cabela's carried Black Powder...they always advertise various BP substitute powders in their catalogs, but never saw Elephant, Goex, Swiss, or any other type of real Black Powder advertised...

:imo:Hi, I am from the federal government and I am here to help you. Nuff said

I was wondering about that too. Is there some government initiative to make class III explosives safe for comsuption by children or something? I don't have a local vendor so close, but Cabelas has always been willing to ship via the catalog, I've just needed to anticipate my future needs a little and I'm fine. Is that going to change?
Thanks

I was wondering about that too. Is there some government initiative to make class III explosives safe for comsuption by children or something? I don't have a local vendor so close, but Cabelas has always been willing to ship via the catalog, I've just needed to anticipate my future needs a little and I'm fine. Is that going to change?
Thanks

IMHO Yes. the ability to obtain BP will only get worse, much, much worse.

Since the real stuff is classified as an explosive and the subs are considered propellent, several municipalities have banned BP within their limits. Apparently they are afraid of the swivel barrel assault flinter which has been used by terrorists to wreck havok in other places. Also realize that a .50 cal ban may not affect the ML guys at first, but I have a 50-90 sharps that will fall under the ban...

Regards,

Ivery

New York has made storage with intent to sell almost impossible. It has to be in an explosion-proof, climate controlled, etc., etc. facility, and small shops can't afford it, and it seems even the bigger shops don't feel the need to bother for the 1% of shooters who demand it. Why sink $20,000 in capital improvements for $500 in annual margin on blackpowder sales? If the Feds (or State) limit shipping it interstate, I'm skrued royally. Ever notice how many items in catalogs say: "Can't be shipped to MA, NJ, NY, CA," etc., etc.

Hillary Clinton is making the decisions for NY, for cripes sake! Scares the heck out of me.

All the muzzleloading seasons? I get a whole joyous week (proposed nine days in the future) and I bet 90%+ of my co-hunters will be using substitutes (and scopes, and conicals).

Maybe Goex needs to sponsor a Nascar event?

"Maybe Goex needs to sponsor a Nascar event?"

Actually not a bad idea. Maybe you should suggest it to them. Bet it won't be Junior Ernhart's car they sponsor though. ::

If the Feds (or State) limit shipping it interstate, I'm skrued royally. Ever notice how many items in catalogs say: "Can't be shipped to MA, NJ, NY, CA," etc., etc.

:hmm:
All this talk has me thinking...I've already used one case of Goex...and I'm halfway through my current case...only have one full case in storage...may just go ahead and get a second case coming

[/quote]

BP substitutes usually work OK most of the time in a percussion rifle, but even there they are not 100% reliable, hence the constant evolution of hotter and hotter ignition sources for BP substitute powder...#11 caps, then small rifle primers, then #209 shotgun primers, then .25cal blank cartridges, etc, etc.

It's incredible how much marketing hype is put out about the BP substitutes being clean, easy to clean up after, etc...implying vast improvements over real black powder.

[/quote]

First of all, I'm not trying to get into a Sub versus BP debate. I love traditional black powder.

Nothing is 100% reliable, including Flintlocks.

The hotter ignition sources are not required if practicing correct field loading and cleaning practices (to include nipple) with a caplock.
Pyrodex is quite hydroscopic and absorbs moisture like a sponge along with some other powders.

Pyrodex Auto-ignition Temperature: 740 (F) (Pellets: 500[f])
777 Auto-ignition Temperature: 770 (F)
GOEX Auto ignition temperature Approx. 464

Thats the beauty of the pa pellet breech.that small cone shape directs the flame around the whole base of the charge wether its loose powder or a pellet. and the "layering" is done at the factory for pyrodex pellets. the "ignotor end" is merely 5-6 grains of real black powder being used as a booster for the pyrodex.

and the sulphurless products need the extra hot primers, because the sulphor in bp is the chemical that lowers the ignition temperature.

and in my guns standard no. 11 cci caps never fail to ignite pyrodex

Thats the beauty of the pa pellet breech.that small cone shape directs the flame around the whole base of the charge
You're right about the cone, but I think that you are referring to the T/C Firestorm

Latest posts

Back