• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx-hunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Newbie question here...

If I measure out 45 grains of Pyrodex on my powder scale, is that the same as 45 grains of blackpowder? Is it more or less?

I'm confused about the volume and weight conversion of BP to Pyrodex.

Thanks,
Neil

Black powder and Pyrodex are meant to be measured by volume, not by weight. Use a standard black powder volumetric measure for them and any other black powder substitute on the market.

HD

tx-hunter said:
Newbie question here...

If I measure out 45 grains of Pyrodex on my powder scale, is that the same as 45 grains of blackpowder? Is it more or less?

I'm confused about the volume and weight conversion of BP to Pyrodex.

Thanks,
Neil

Like HD said...forget "weight"...the black powder industry is designed around "volume" measurements, not weight...and Pyrodes RS is designed to fill the same size measures as Goex 2F for example with equivalent energy as Goex 2F.

If you read a load data chart somewhere that lists 100grns Goex 2F for example and you want to use Pyrodex RS instead, just fill up the same 100grn measure with Pyrodex RS and fire away.

(Note: that same volume of Pyrodex RS will actually "weigh" less than the same volume of Goex 2F but it has no bearing on the situation...weight is an irrelevant association...it's designed to deliver the same amount of energy that 100grns of Goex 2F does, regardless of what it might weigh on a set of scales)

Hey Roundball,

I know I have asked you this question, but what size ball and thickness patch does a T/C .45 like? It is a 1970's vintage.

According to Thompson Centers guide. A black powder measure set to dispense 70 grains of black powder will, in fact, dispense approximately 52 grains of Pyrodex (by weight). However this lighter charge of Pyrodex will provide a charge that is ballistically similar to 70 grains of black powder.

The bottom line is that you measure by volume and not by weight. That is of course unless you talk with some of the guys on the Roundball Accuracy forum.

whitetaildg said:
Hey Roundball,

I know I have asked you this question, but what size ball and thickness patch does a T/C .45 like? It is a 1970's vintage.

Target loads and .015" plain cotton patches give good plinking accuracy and I use that combo a lot because I bought a ton of .015" pre-lubed patches at a steal one time :grin:.

However, .018" pillow ticking patches give me the tightest groups in my TC's, particularly with moderate/larger powder charges.

(And for max deer hunting loads, I add an Oxyoke pre-lubed wonderwad over the powder for best accuracy with power overall)

As for the ball size, I use Hornady .440's, but my .45's are the one caliber where I can thumbstart the ball even with an .018" patch, so I'd bet .445's would work fine if not better...just haven't ever bothered with them.

Thanks yall! I'll put the scale away and save it for the smokeless powder. I have one of those adjustable brass powder measures. I'll use that.

Latest posts

Back