• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about barrel thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKM

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Thanks for reading. I am looking to build a smoothbore .35 caliber 10 inch barrel black powder firearm using 316 or 304 stainless steel. What would be the appropriate barrel thickness?

Not sure what you mean by appropriate.
First of all, stainless is not appropriate for anything in period, so why worry about barrel design? Build what you want.

Not sure what you mean by appropriate.
First of all, stainless is not appropriate for anything in period, so why worry about barrel design? Build what you want.

I Think thickness comparable to the thickness of similar caliber barrels would be fine. A 35 is so small that any more or less standardized barrel diameter would provide plenty of wall thickness. But just to put a number to it I'd say 5/8" would be the smallest that I would go.

This reminds me of the story about the Wells Fargo manager who was interviewing potential drivers. One of his questions was "If you were on a mountain road, how close could you get to the edge without going over?" The guy who got the job answered "If I were on that road I'd be seeing how far away from the edge I could stay"!

Back