• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about L&R Queen Anne Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric/WV

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My rifle has an L&R Queene Anne Lock. I have a question concerning returning the cock to "half cock" from the "full cock" position. I've noticed that I have to drop the cock past the half cock position and then return it to the half cock position in order for it to hold securely. If I stop at half cock without passing and returning, the cock will drop forward when finger pressure is applied. Is this normal, or do I have a faulty lock?

Can't say specifically for your lock, but it sounds like you have a fly in the tumbler that's not quite working right.
If you have a fly you should not be able to go from full cock to half cock without passing half cock and then going back. The fly should prevent the sear from engaging the half cock notch. If its doing what you describe and hanging up slightly it sounds like the fly is not quite keeping the sear out of the half cock notch. So yes there is something out of wack with the fly.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but to me it seems as if the fly is doing what it is supposed to do: prevent the lock from stopping at half cock from the fully cocked position. On all my locks when I want to go from full cock to half cock, I slowly let the hammer go all the way to the pan so it is in its discharged position and then bring it back to half cock.

If I understand you correctly, your fly is too short. This is not rare with this lock. If you continue using it as is, sooner or later it will break the sear, tumbler or both. Give L&R a call, I am sure they will correct your problem. If you have the ability, you could make a replacement, but it is delicate work.

Beowulf,

If I drop the cock slowly, I can feel it catch on half cock, and it will hold unless I apply finger pressure. Then it will fall forward.

Thanks for the help guys. I will give L&R a call. I had an accidental discharge yesterday due to this. Now that I know you can't drop directly to half cock, I won't make the mistake again, however I don't like the idea that it will catch on half cock without passing and returning.

Beowulf is correct, the fly is there so that the hammer will not stop at half cock. It may hang up there if you let down slowly but it is not in the half cock notch. You do have to let the hammer all the way down and then bring it back to half cock to hold properly.

You don't have a problem. The fly is doing what it is supposed to do. :winking:

Back