• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for Powder Horn Crafters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbiggers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you get the powder horn so dark on the spout end of the horn as in this picture? Is it ink, stain, or what. I've got a F & I horn i'am about to attempt to scrimshaw and it looks alot like the horn in this picture, except the dark end of the spout. Any and all help and/or suggestions would be appreciated... :hatsoff:

Thank you,

HPIM0873_edited.jpg

You will need to dye the horn twice. I use RIT brand fabric dye. For the neck, use Cocoa Brown with a pinch of black. Wrap the end of the body just above the neck with electricians tape then immerse the horn in the dye till it just covers the neck. I use an asparagus cooker to heat the dye and leave it in for 30-45 minutes. Once out let it sit and dry, overnight is good. You will probably have to scrape and sand some of the dye off of the body. I usually dye the neck before I scrimshaw. After the design is engraved and inked I will then redye the entire horn. You can play around with the colors. Straight Tan looks good. So does yellow. Experiment. Have fun!
Scott

I followed Scotts advice on my first horns and came out with real good results. I warn you that you may be hooked!
Kirby

Color on the bottom horn is natural, i.e., no dying was necessary to get the black neck. The neck on the upper horn was done with silver nitrate. Just paint the solution on the part of the horn you want to turn black and then expose the horn to sunlight.
IMG_0804.jpg

I also use the RIT dye - black and brown - and a big campbells soup can...it's tall and skinny enough to leave the horn in the dye for a little while on the stove burner till it darkens to where you want it colorwise...by the way, don't have the can and horn sitting out on the stove when mama gets home either...

Wonderful suggestions guy's thank you and keep'em coming. I'am only going to get one shot at making this horn work out good. Here is a picture of the horn i'am working on. I think the horn is in a finished state, but i'am just not sure. I'am very new and unlearned about these things. Please look and tell how i need to proceed.

Thank you,
Danny

HPIM0874_edited.jpg

horner75 said:
I wouldn't do a thing to it!

Well i couldn't leave it alone and this is what we came up with...

This is what i started with, it was in the pictured in the above post, but was removed for some reason... :shake:

HPIM0874_edited-1.jpg

Here's the finished product.. :applause:

DSCF0056_edited-1-1.jpg

DSCF0057_edited-2-1.jpg

DSCF0050_edited-1-1-2.jpg

Hawken12 said:
nice job,what did you use for white in the scrim,if I may ask?
Peter
I would've liked to have used "India Ink" but i don't think it comes in any color than black or blue, so i used "Block Ink" which is in a tube and is like a paste. It comes in several different colors & Its a little hard to clean up, but not impossible... :thumbsup:

Brown Rit dye in the concentrated liquid form. A full bottle to a large metal coffe can filled 2/3rds full with water. Bring to a boil. Watch carefully as this stuff expands and will boil over! Turn off when it comes to a boil and insert horn. No more than 15 minutes will give you a nice brown. Any longer and the dye is very hard to scrape from the white area.

une carabine said:
Hawken12 said:
nice job,what did you use for white in the scrim,if I may ask?
Peter
I would've liked to have used "India Ink" but i don't think it comes in any color than black or blue, so i used "Block Ink" which is in a tube and is like a paste. It comes in several different colors & Its a little hard to clean up, but not impossible... :thumbsup:
You can get about any basic color of inks at art stores or the larger hobby stores like Hobby Lobby etc. Just my 2 cents worth after taxes!
Rick

These have all been stained according to the instructions in Sibley's book.

Get the book--it's worth the money.

100_0426.jpg

Back