• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the lefties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bljfour

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Please excuse this rather simple question, but I don't have much experience with flintlocks. Are there any lefties out there that shoot right-handed flintlocks? I am a lefty and I would like to start shooting flintlocks and I want to know if I have to look for a left-handed rifle.

I'm a bonafide southpaw and even have a couple myself. Now, I also like military guns and as you know, they only come with the lock on the starboard side.

I find that when I concentrate on the front sight blade (and that's an inference I can see the sights without the aid of a seeing eye dog), I don't notice the "foosh!" of the powder going off in the pan.

As a lefty (smile when you call me that) I have been shooting right hand rocklocks for over four decades. I have some left hand pieces, but right hand ones bother me naught at all.

Having had a gun coming apart in my hands (and face) in my youth, the right-handed flinters make me absolutely nuts. Time should cure all but 50 years after the fact, I still can't get over the flinch. Not a problem with left-handed flinters, but I notice my groups are better if my hat kinda sags down over the corner of my left eye to block some of the commotion from view when I touch one off.

Lefty here!
IM in the process of building me a Tennessee left flintlock.
I have shot a bit of everything mostly right handed guns. I have shot machineguns bolt actions etc. Some are a problem others arent.
I searched out the parts for my lefty rifle I figured I didnt want the hassle of the powder in my face going off haha.
I remember when I was a young kid shooting a 22 semi auto in the summer and having the hot brass falling right into the crease in my arm. Every now and then I would come off my aim.
I havent had a chance to fire a flint lock yet but I figured I was building my first might as well build it lefty.
Track of the wolf has lefty rifle kits and parts.

I was thinking about building a flintlock and I was wondering if I should do a lefty or a normal rifle. I will be shooting it but I don't know how often.

Now wait just a tick. How can you be so certain that lefty ain't the normal? :crackup:
Seriously, all it took was a bit of hot 4f on my cheek to make me rethink shootin' "rightys" left-handed, and since yer askin' advice I say build a lefty. :imo:

a bunch of guys got in a big argument one time on mlml about where the powder should be in the pan.. next to the flash hole or away.. and bob spencer who started the list came in and said he never has trouble with his side by side no matter what possition the gun previously was. kind of put and end to it.. . i think this question falls into that catagory.. if you cant handle right to left , or left to right, surly dont buy a side by side, i wonder why they are so expensive then?? .. good luck dave..

as a fellow sinister...I feel safer carrying my left hand flintlock in the field...don't like the vent hole pointing at me!

I'm a right-hander that shoots leftie. My guns are all left-handed. Since left hand guns are available, I would recommend the left hand lock versions. It will give you one less thing to think about when you should be thinking about trigger squeeze and sight alignment. Keeping the lock on the correct side is no guarantee you will not get some stuff flying around at the shot. Even with glasses and a ballcap bill protecting my face and eyes, I got hit in the eye so bad one time, I had to go to the emergency room. I still haven't figured out how it happened. Period correct or not, safety glasses are an emphatic must when shooting a ML, flint or percussion. Getting hit in the eye with pan or cap debris may be Period Correct but it is carrying things a bit too far for my tastes. I am always amazed at the number of people, adults and especially kids, who don't wear safety glasses when shooting. Congratulations if any of you have not suffered a flint chip or bit of hot powder in the eye, up to this point. Never fear, though. Your turn is coming. :m2c:

My left handed brother shoots my right hand flinter. He says it is no big deal and hardly notices the flash. I think if you are concentrating on your target completely, you would not be bothered shooting a right gun the wrong way. Keep your stock arm down and outta the way a little, wear glasses at the range and you will do fine. The little puff is lost when the BOOM goes off and you can't see anything. Kinda like stubbing your toe and then forgetting about your headache. :relax:

I would only use 4f powder in the pan if shooting wrong handed. The fine powder seems to vaporize quicker with less debris flying about. My flash is not much more scary than a big wooden match being ignited. If wooden matches scare you, maybe look into something else as a hobby. The split second delay is what gets me jumping. I hear the click and tense a little in knowing a thump is about to get me. The interval is rather short but not short enough to escape my reaction sometimes. The flash has never really bothered me, or my left handed brother for that matter.

One thing that might make up your mind of shooting right or left handed, is which eye is dominant. If you do not know look at something with both eyes open. Point at that object with your index finger and close one eye then the other eye. Whichever eye your finger stayed pointed on is your dominant eye. Shooting accurately is hard enough, then overcoming that which is not "normal" for you, makes it even worse. :m2c:

I'm a lefty and I have several LH flinters....BUT I also have a couple RH flinters that I've been shooting for almost 30 years. I've had absolutly NO problems shooting the right hand guns.

Having said that I think you would be happier with a left hand gun, it will fit you better than a RH. :imo:

I shot rt hand flinters from my left shoulder for about 6 years, and maintained that it didn't bother me. About 2 years ago, I finally admitted that I flinched about every 10th shot or so, maybe not quite that often, and bought a left handed GPR, and a lefthanded Lyman Deerstalker. Made shooting a lot more fun, and did away with the flinch...something I never had with a rt hand percussion...if you have a choice, go lefthanded..Hank

I shoot lefthanded both right and lefthand guns only problem I ever had burnt the sleeve on a new fleece jacket shooting a right hand gun melted it pretty good

bljfour
You have to look for a left handed lock only if you don't want a right handed one. Your choice, and they are out there, just gotta look. I shoot a double flinter that I made, and I am a right hander. The left side doesn't seem to bother me a bit.
Flintlocks Forever
Lar
:thumbsup:

Much ado. Left handed rifles aren't any harder to make than proper ones. Find a gunmaker in your price range, use a left handed Siler lock and you're in business. Why compromise.

A lefthanded rifle IS a proper one. I don't understand how those oddball rightie things ever got popular.
I have 2 LH centerfires and 2 LH flintlocks and am waiting on a Rice barrel to start a 3rd.
In this day and age there is no reason for a lefty to shoot a righthanded gun.
Sure you can get by and manage a right handed gun but it will never be as proficient or work as well for you as a lefty.
When I started in this shooting game there were no LH guns available So I have straddled both sides of this fence. In flintlocks I will only own LH, in percussion it doesn't really seem to matter as long as the stock fits.
And stock fit is a big thing. Most early stocks have "cast off" which is supposed to put the sights at the right place when the gun is mounted. Shooting a cast off RH stock LH may not work so well for you. It sure wouldn't for me.

Latest posts

Back