• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the many builders about lock finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at the photographs of new build guns on the forum I’ve notice many of the locks have an ‘as cast’ appearance, no matter if it’s been rust browned (another topic), blued or left in the white. Am I missing something, as I have never seen an original gun’s lock with an ‘as cast’ finish ( how many were actually cast?), and when I see the cast finish it screams contemporary gun, kind of like the ‘engraving’ you see on TC or Lyman locks.

To me it’s like not draw filing a barrel. Or have I lead a sheltered life and original guns had that cast finish on their locks?

I believe that the average person is intimidated or overwhelmed by the effort needed to do a proper job. It can also add considerable time which many people don’t want to invest. You are right that original locks did not have the coarse cast finish even on the less expensive locks.

I've not seen any original guns with the lock left in a rough cast state. The gunsmith or his apprentice would file and polish the parts just as they did for the brass furniture.
Modern made locks have that grey investment cast surface. To do the job right that surface needs to be removed.

Looking at the photographs of new build guns on the forum I’ve notice many of the locks have an ‘as cast’ appearance, no matter if it’s been rust browned (another topic), blued or left in the white. Am I missing something, as I have never seen an original gun’s lock with an ‘as cast’ finish ( how many were actually cast?), and when I see the cast finish it screams contemporary gun? To me it’s like not draw filing a barrel. Or have I lead a sheltered life and original guns had that cast finish on their locks?
I've made patterns to sand cast yellow brass lock plates for the more archaic locks such as the Scots often used . But in general I don't think gunmakers had steel castings & certainly not the lost wax we have so common today . The forgings taken bright some might be blued but NONE had the frosted look nor where 'Browned' .& shewing parting lines . Modern US maker don't seem to harden the lock plates which have to come with out the plate hard as they will have to tap threads for the side nails (Which oft as not are also left soft , Even on high Dollar makers as I've found by testing with a needle file) Ile not name names but I don't leave frosted finish & I case harden both plate & side nails . So you are right, cast finish does scream contemporary work . Benin Bronzes were' lost wax' but not steel items . Later Benjimin Huntsman had crucible cast steel made he was a Sheffield clock maker who sought springs for his clocks. I once lived a mile or so from the Abbeydale industrial Hamlet where it was first produced & was still doing it occasionally if mostly for exhibit. in my time .
Rudyard

Looking at the photographs of new build guns on the forum I’ve notice many of the locks have an ‘as cast’ appearance, no matter if it’s been rust browned (another topic), blued or left in the white. Am I missing something, as I have never seen an original gun’s lock with an ‘as cast’ finish ( how many were actually cast?), and when I see the cast finish it screams contemporary gun, kind of like the ‘engraving’ you see on TC or Lyman locks.

To me it’s like not draw filing a barrel. Or have I lead a sheltered life and original guns had that cast finish on their locks?
My first build was in the late 70s and my lock was the L and R English ‘waterproof’ style. I was told by the dealer not to finish it, or the barrel too, as that would make the browning solution easier to apply.
It was twenty years and a few guns made before I learned the right way

Back