• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the "old guys"...Is it just me or are there others?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case anybody apart from Greenswlde and I are interested, here is the route through the picturesque riverside town of Llangollen up to the well-known Ponderosa Café - on a motorcycle...../Ac i unrhyw un - ar wahân i Greenswlde a minnau - sydd â diddordeb, dyma'r llwybr trwy dref hardd Glan yr Afon Llangollen hyd at Gaffi Ponderosa adnabyddus - ar feic modur .....

I really enjoy this forum! You people have kept boredom away from me. My wife doesn't want me go to the rifle range, fish, hunt or do much of anything without having a partner tag along. I am blessed to have her and I do as she says. I go to this forum every day . I am a light weight comedian and try out my lines on you people. I get a feel for whether I will include or cast aside a joke in my routine. I just wanted to say I appreciate all of you!
Same here my wife dont want me to go any where by my self due to heart problems

Not at all. Anybody that's vaguely familiar with unions knows that they don't create the jobs. It appears you're trying to start an argument, not make a point.

You don't like unions, fine, I have no problem with it. I don't like green bean casserole.
No argument. I have my view you have yours. Never found a use for Unions in todays world. just one mans opinion.

I was a teacher, a history teacher. There is good and bad about unions. Here in the coal fields of WV I saw both. In the early 30s my grandfather was driving a truck for a coal company, miners where striking. When he came to the picket line, a mine Forman jumped up on the running board and told him to run them over. He refused and was dragged from the truck and beat by company thugs with clubs. They may have killed him but the miners stoped them. He was beat so badly my father said he was never the same. They lived in a company house, by the time he got home my grandmother, all 5 kids ages 1 to 7 and everything they owned was thrown out in the rain. Since that time my family has supported unions. Sorry to run on so long but without unions workers in the mines where like a tool, discarded when they broke…

I was a teacher, a history teacher. There is good and bad about unions. Here in the coal fields of WV I saw both. In the early 30s my grandfather was driving a truck for a coal company, miners where striking. When he came to the picket line, a mine Forman jumped up on the running board and told him to run them over. He refused and was dragged from the truck and beat by company thugs with clubs. They may have killed him but the miners stoped them. He was beat so badly my father said he was never the same. They lived in a company house, by the time he got home my grandmother, all 5 kids ages 1 to 7 and everything they owned was thrown out in the rain. Since that time my family has supported unions. Sorry to run on so long but without unions workers in the mines where like a tool, discarded when they broke…
Yes, but this is not 1930. Unions today are not needed, there are already a zillion laws in place to protect workers!(IMHO)

"Company thugs"!!! LOLOLOLOL!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😉

Good one!

Bob, I find myself in the same boat as you. Perhaps it is that, as we "retire" and find time on our hands, we wish to revisit things that gave us satisfaction or purpose, and want to make sure we continue to do those things. I "retired" after 40 years as a journalist, only to get into commercial beekeeping. That move out of the city and back to my preferred haunts of fields and forests rekindled a desire to take up some of the things I'd put aside when I was in the Concrete Jungle. Muzzleloading. Rough camping. Making "old" things "new" again. And yes, making campfire coffee and tin-can breads. So, no, you aren't alone! Welcome!

Bob, I find myself in the same boat as you. Perhaps it is that, as we "retire" and find time on our hands, we wish to revisit things that gave us satisfaction or purpose, and want to make sure we continue to do those things. I "retired" after 40 years as a journalist, only to get into commercial beekeeping. That move out of the city and back to my preferred haunts of fields and forests rekindled a desire to take up some of the things I'd put aside when I was in the Concrete Jungle. Muzzleloading. Rough camping. Making "old" things "new" again. And yes, making campfire coffee and tin-can breads. So, no, you aren't alone! Welcome!
While I understand the "desire" I am more of a realist and accept that what i did when I was 40 I am not doing when I am 72. It is what it is. I prefer to go out on top of my game. I just adjust and fine other things to do, that are less strenuous and easier on the 72 yr old body. I played hockey in the Phila farm system, I raced motrocycles (road racing)and attended the 1968 World Championship in 68, I was a Marine Officer,then I was a govt agt, I earned two MBA's and other Post graduate degrees and certifications, ya da ya da ya da...that was then, it is certainly not now! I refuse to live in the past that i can do nothing about, preferring the here and now, because I never know what tomorrow will bring either. Just one man's opinion. I like to study history, not try and relive it!

While I understand the "desire" I am more of a realist and accept that what i did when I was 40 I am not doing when I am 72. It is what it is. I prefer to go out on top of my game. I just adjust and fine other things to do, that are less strenuous and easier on the 72 yr old body. I played hockey in the Phila farm system, I raced motrocycles (road racing)and attended the 1968 World Championship in 68, I was a Marine Officer,the I was a govt agt, I earned two MBA's and other Post graduate degrees and certifications, ya da ya da ya da...that was then, it is certainly not now! I refuse to live in the past that i can do nothing about, preferring the her and now, because I never know what tomorrow will bring either. Just ne man's opinion.
"Company thugs"!!! LOLOLOLOL!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😉

Good one!
Time to move out of the 1930's IMHO

Ah, right. So you have wide historical experience of both cars and motorcycles built in Great Britain.

An old MG of indeterminate age that blew a battery in spite of your advise.

And a 'canned' motorcycle from WW2 that for some unaccountable blew the tires after being stored incorrectly for an undisclosed number of years.

And for those instances, all British-made cars and motorcycles are c**p.

Okay.
Think you missed the "older" part. Might add i had an old Norton Road atlas that was fun to ride except it had such a bad engine vibration it put both hands to sleep on long trips. Needed about a can of old STP thick oil (grease) to calm it down. Also the ancient cooper I had at RAF Upper Heyford would only run right when it wasn't raining. Wouldn't mind a new rover or rolls right now.

Think you missed the "older" part. Might add i had an old Norton Road atlas that was fun to ride except it had such a bad engine vibration it put both hands to sleep on long trips. Needed about a can of old STP thick oil (grease) to calm it down. Also the ancient cooper I had at RAF Upper Heyford would only run right when it wasn't raining. Wouldn't mind a new rover or rolls right now.
I believe your RAF upper heyford (I've never heard of before) probably needed a set of spark plug wires. I had a Chevy 350 that lit up like a Christmas tree on a wet night......Wally

My father was a truck driver and Teamsters union member. He was beaten half to death by a group of union goons for campaigning for the reform candidates in a union election.

...and attended the 1968 World Championship in 68...
The heck with the rest of this thread, this statement is what interests me. The fact that @Snake Pleskin felt it necessary to tell us that he attended something in the same year it happened hints at his ability to time travel. Like he could have attended the 1968 World Championship yesterday. Kinda like he can reenact history if he wants to. Unless of course he meant he attended it in 1868 (he doesn't specify the century) a hundred years before it happened, which would still be time travel but now he can see the future. @tenngun he might be able to answer your questions about why short rifles came into existence after Rendezvous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back