• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the small game hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like above, 5 or 6 shot work nice for squirrels. I usually mix the 5 & 6 together. I wanted to mount a pine/red squirrel. 5 & 6 shot peppered the hide to much. Their hide and fur seemed to be on the thin side compared to there cousins. So I tried 7 1/2 shot. It was easier on the fur. Red/pine squirrels are fun to hunt too. They may be smaller but they make a lot of noise. I use my 58 cal/24 ga trade gun.
782805CA-46AC-4446-8509-07678439CBDD.jpeg

Here’s the mount I got a few years ago. The taxidermist could’ve done a better job.
83C7D53C-77C9-47AF-85DD-F0DB3E5D053B.jpeg

I always use 1 1/8 oz of 5's or 4's lead or bismuth, depends on where I am hunting. I primarily hunt Southern Fox Squirrels which requires large shot as they can get up to 3 pounds and shots are out to 40 yards. I use a variant of the Sky Chief load in my 20 ga Pedersoli SXS's. Powder, Leather OP wad, 3/8" wool felt wad soaked in olive oil and beeswax, shot charge and then another 3/8" lubed felt wad to seal the bore. Works great.

Red squirrels are basically chipmunks. I've shot them, but I don't think I've ever ate them. Seems like a waste of time to me. I could be wrong. Grey and fox squirrel I have shot with #7.5 and even #8. Very rarely will the shot pass through the meat. Anywhere you hit them, the shot will stop inside. I don't consider this desirable at all. #6 is ok, especially up close. #5 and #4 are more sure pass-through, or at the very least you can bet they will be on the far side skin.

Back