• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the Southpaw Shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your input. If we don't melt this weekend we will make trip to the range, with my 50 rifle and the old 45 pistol let warm up with the pistol and then let him send lead down range with light loads in the 50. He will most likely love then I have convince the CFO another rifle is needed, but thats another topic.

Thanks sgtski

I've been shooting a righthanded CVA .50 caplock for 5 years with my left hand. I was so new to shooting that I didn't know they made left handers until I had gotten mine and started learning to shoot it. I've had no problems yet.I've always been backward, I swing a baseball bat and a golf club right handed while I throw lefthanded.

Lost too

I shoot righthanded, but only because just about everything else in life is right handed. Play right handed guitar as well. Overcoming such obstacles gives one more appreciation for the accomplishments by doing things the hard way.

Hello,
I am left handed and my hunting gun is a right hand GPR. I have always shot righthanded guns left handed with no problems.
It is not so much the issue of handness as it is eye dominance. It is very possible for a person to be left handed and right eye dominant, like my brother. He shoots righthanded. I, on the otherhand :haha: shoot lefthanded. I feel eye dominance is the key for wich side a person should favor. A simple test can confirm eye dominance. Have you son hold his arms straight out, palms facing away from his body like a crossing guard halting a car except with both hands. Have him overlap the fingers of one closed hand over the other. This should leave a small hole between the thumbs. Close the hands until the hole is about 1/2 inch. Have him focus with both eyes through the hole on an object across the room. Ask him to close his right eye. If the object disapears he is right eye dominant. If the object is still in view he is left eye dominant.
With the issue of eye dominance settled ya'll can start shouldering the weapon, unloaded of course. Have him shoulder the arm on the side of eye dominance. Right eye, right shoulder and vice- versa. Make sure he does not cross aim, right shoulder, left eye. This may cause some debate but I close my off eye when I aim. Position hands and elbows for best balance and comfort. If he is a small young'un he may have trouble holding the weapon correctly if the pull and or stock is too long. If so it may be better to start him off with a smaller gun. This should settle which side he favors.
I shoot left handed most of the time. It is the side I favor naturally. I chose to shoot right handed guns. Let him choose the gun he wants and adapt to it. In a way it does not matter what side the lock is on most guns as long as the shooter can shoot it. Think of a double barrel shot gun or double rifle the location of the locks is a non issue. An exception to this is a longrifle made with cast off, that is the butt is a little off center to allow better sight alignment and too direct recoil away from the face. Shooting a gun like this off handed would be uncomfortable. It would be a slapper. :shocked2:
In closing of this epic post. :redface: Sorry.
One talent that a lot of left handed shooters have is the ability to shoot equally well right or left handed. In a tree stand this allows you a 360 degree field of fire. When swapping sides swap eyes. This is why I close one eye. Try teaching this skill to your son. He may be already predisposed to this talent. My groups differ a little from right to left. Not by much but I have tighter groups when I shoot my standard GPR right handed. I wonder if it's because I place my face in a slightly different spot each time I shoot off handed.:hmm:

closing one eye works okay for shooting firels with open sites. It does not do so well shooting shotguns, or guns with scopes, where you need your week eye to help you judge depth and speed of movement.

I have avoided posting to this. I am a total lefty (whole family was left handed). I shot a few times with a right handed rifle and finally gave up shooting until about a year ago.
Matt built me a left hand flintlock to fit me and I am loving it. Sometimes it is easier to just accomodate your needs than try to change a person's natural instincts.
Even teachers tried to change the hand we wrote with unsucessfully. If he is a total lefty, you may discourage him from this endeavor with any enthusiasm because of the effort involved. It is suppose to be FUN. Maybe an underhammer is the solution. I haven't ever shot one, so am not good judge on them.
I would just hate for a young person to miss out on a lot fun because of being dicouraged.
My opinion for what it is worh!! (I know not much).

If you've shot a single shot shotgun, side by side, or over and under shotgun, they are basically made for lefties and righties. Underhammers are just like that.
Jammin.gif

Latest posts

Back