• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on cleaning during a hunting trip.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anecdotal to say the least. The reason for some misfires is the lube that's used for storage. Had 2 guys in our deer hunting party who used WD40 and both had "failure to fire" problems because they didn't get it all out.

The one guy wasn't too far from my stand and after awhile it sounded like somebody was squirrel hunting w/ a .22. Back in the cabin he told us of all the deer that came by his stand and only the cap would fire....he fired quite a few caps w/o ignition and finally pulled the load.

The other user of WD40 had a similar experience and the night before the next day's hunt, he was about to load and I asked if I could take a look at his MLer....put the gun upside down and WD40 ran out of the nipple.

I think many of the misfires are caused for reasons other than ambient moisture dampening the load. Liquid in the breech, dull flint, etc.

I use a "waxy" lube for storage which doesn't stay in all the nooks and crannies and doesn't collect in one spot depending on the position of the gun......Fred

Amen!

All remnants of storage protectants of any kind need to be removed. Not just WD40, but anything put into the bore to protect it.

Easily done with denatured or 90% isopropyl. Then it needs to be allowed to dry completely before loading. Overnight drying is good.

Do not "pop a cap" to "clear" the flash passage before loading. If you have not cleaned oil, etc. from the gun, the cap residue will combine with it and clog the nipple. It will be pushed right into the flash channel and nipple as you load. If you have cleaned with alcohol and let it dry there is nothing to "clear".

I keep a rubber automotive vacuum plug over the nipple when not capped. Have carried a loaded rifle with the nipple sealed this way for five or six hours in a steady rain with no subsequent problems with ignition.

flehto said:
Anecdotal to say the least.

I am literally laughing out loud, that you consider the actual primary source documentation to the the practice of pulling loads by an actual rifleman, in a rifle unit, during our Revolutionary war is "Anecdotal"

marmotslayer said:
All remnants of storage protectants of any kind need to be removed. Not just WD40, but anything put into the bore to protect it.

[clip]

I keep a rubber automotive vacuum plug over the nipple when not capped. Have carried a loaded rifle with the nipple sealed this way for five or six hours in a steady rain with no subsequent problems with ignition.

I use a paste lube, homemade of beeswax and lard, and I never make any attempt to remove it before loading any of my guns. I do make certain I've put on a minimal amount to begin with, but I just pick up and load my guns with no cleaning of the bore, and I never have any problems with firing.

I have also carried my flintlocks all day in the rain many times, and they shoot. The idea that atmospheric moisture, humidity, will ruin a load is a wrong one, in my experience. If you keep liquid water out of the bore, it will shoot.

Spence

Luke MacGillie said:
I am literally laughing out loud, that you consider the actual primary source documentation to the the practice of pulling loads by an actual rifleman, in a rifle unit, during our Revolutionary war is "Anecdotal"
The fact that Henry believed humidity damaged loads can not be doubted, but that doesn't mean it was an accurate belief then any more than it is today. Of course we have no way to know the quality of his powder. If it was contaminated with common salt, which much early powder was, then pulling and refreshing it would be appropriate. He earlier described their powder as being of special high quality, unable to be replaced, so salt should not have been a problem. It's not with modern powders, so I believe the problem doesn't actually exist for us.

It's easy to find primary source statements that we know today to be wrong.

Spence

Men, drawing a conclusion from another mans description of damp or humidity is folly. The author of the text could of been describing heavy rain in a very reserved manor!

Rain fall has never been an issue for me except for an thorough drenching where upon the frizzen and lock, flash hole too were soaked.
Had I made shelter as I often will it would of been fine.

I have kept loaded guns for weeks and been fine.
I have also suffered the after effects of being lazy and too liberal with the olive oil!

All guns with a vent open or nipple removed and cleaned with water WILL dry, especially with hot water and near a fire or other heat source, oil...NO.

I do use a home made mix that forms a paste/grease, this gives no issues as long as the nipple is not contaminated with it or a frizzen coated in it.

B.

:hatsoff: As was stated by me except it goes over every ones head :surrender:What on earth did someone 100 year ago do. shot and power $$$$ I don't think that they unloaded every day!

I have been able to do the same spence. The key is, as you state, not applying too much and using something more akin to paste/grease than liquid like WD40.

Mostly though I store with WD40 and always "wash" it out.

After cleaning, I use olive oil even if it's daily. It wipes out easily when I want to load, and it keeps my bore sparkling clean. You're no overthinking, but if you want to use oil that won't remove finish or nullify you powder charge, try olive oil. Being obsessive about cleanliness, only spells good things for your rifle. By the way, good choice on FFFG, for 54 cal.

I haven't read most of the responses, but I'm sure they are varied.
My practice has been to completely clean and degrease the rifle before loading. I'll squirt carburetor cleaner in the touch hole and swab with a dry patch then load. After loading I will swab the bore with WD-40 and go out to murder Bambi. If not fired, at end of day I do nothing unless I got rained on. If that happens I'l swab bore again with WD-40 and wipe down the outside.
Never had a failure to fire, even with load left in for weeks.
A word of caution. :shocked2:
Do take safety precautions while the rifle is loaded. Curious neighbor might come by and pick up to see how that funny gun works. A note stuck in bore saying "LOADED" is not a bad way to go.

"I don't think that they unloaded every day"

Nope.

"Do take safety precautions while the rifle is loaded. Curious neighbor might come by and pick up to see how that funny gun works. A note stuck in bore saying "LOADED" is not a bad way to go."

Neighbor had his center fire rifle in the passenger seat of his unlocked truck. A cousin came along and looked in the window, opened the door and successfully shot another cousin in rear end.

Best bet, if it's loaded, it needs to be locked up.

Forrest Gump, "stupid is as stupid does.

I tend to play it by ear, depending on the weather regarding reloading every day. One of the reasons I prefer shooting a ball / patch combination that is not too tight is so that pulling the load is easier if I feel the need to at the end of the day. I dislike shooting off the guns around camp in some situations due to the unnecessary noise factor. Sometimes the extra noise can spook animals - sometimes they seem to pay no attention at all. This might sound like heresy, but I have felt for years that percussion guns give more problems in damp weather than flinters due to condensation below the nipple in the flash channel. Especially if the gun has been fired and reloaded without a thorough cleaning. Have to admit though, with a bone dry nipple, flash channel, and sealed cap, percussion gun will have the advantage.

Latest posts

Back