• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on Traditions Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not unfamiliar with these guns given that I have an older CVA model but I'm wondering if the current Traditions have the lock with or without the bridle?

Another question, this one maybe not as simple. Can the percussion version be converted to a flintlock by replacing the drum with a vent? Will it go together and be functional?

The Traditions with double/set triggers have a bridle , the single trigger models do not. However the tumbler does have the lug for the bridle and a bridle can be added fairly easily. I have a Tradition Kentucky flint lock and I added a bridle to the lock, big improvement.

A cap version can be converted to flint but requires some machining skills . Some here have made the conversion.

Just a thought here, but could the drum be cut off flush with the breech plug and then drilled and tapped for a vent? That would avoid messing with the Traditions breech.
I had to think through what you are saying there. At first I didn't get it but now, yes. And I think it would work. Might have to make the vent liner but that shouldn't be a big problem.

I hope you don't have too much invested in this rifle.
The rifle that I have is an older CVA 45 that I recently built from a kit. All my observations of the accuracy of these guns as well as the shooting results with the one I have show them shooting waaaay above expectations for a gun in this price range.

But, I have no desire to to keep this CVA 45. I have a TC 45 that does everything I need a 45 to do. I'll probably sell the one I have. However, the Traditions 50 caliber is of interest as an accurate deer only RB hunter. (Colorado regs require a minimum 170 grain projectile for all big game except elk and moose) It's light and easy to carry. If I don't like the lock I could easily install an RPL lock of flint if I went with flint but not sure if I'd go flinter. If I go with the basic 50 the lock would not be what I'd like so that would end up being an RPL whether it be flint or capper.

If I purchased it as a capper I might decide to convert it to RPL flint. Just kind of covering bases before I decide whether or not to proceed.

Back