• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question: PRB in a 12ga cylinder barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried a .690 ball with a .020 patch.Also,a .715 ball worked without a patch over nitro card and powder with overshot card on top.Accuracy for me was inconsistent.

My first try with a .690" RB in .018" pillow ticking was ~3" at 50 yards for 3 shots. IIRC, it was 85gr ffg. I was amazed. The PRB need only be snug, and I had no need for an over powder wad....shot range sledgehammer!!!

What is the actual measurement of the inside diameter of your barrels? I ask because I have a "12ga" marked gun that measures .710", which is really a 13ga that I use a .690" PRB in, but have seen them as large as .740" and still marked as a "12ga". The measurement is what is important, and not what the gun is marked as sometimes that can't really be trusted.

I have a Pietta that measures .735 and a CVA that measures .726 in one barrel and .729 in the other.

I use a .715 with .012 patch in the Pietta and a .690 with a .022 patch in the CVA. The Pietta is more accurate with prb.

I used a .690 RB with .020 denim patch but preferred a.715 over a 12ga 1/2" wad and a card on top. Both I loaded with 82 grains of FF which pounded hard on both ends of the weapon. :shocked2:

Snow

Back