• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickman15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I talked to a gun dealer today (bought a .40 sw for home defense) and he said that I could put my .50 cal barrel in a 400 degree oven for 30 mins and that it would have a good blue to it. Is this true? Are there any fumes or health hazards in doing this? Other than trying this I was going to heat up my barrel and try the oxpho blue cream again. Once I get the dang barrel done I can install it and get this baby done.

I don't have an oven big enough to put a rifle barrel in...

Shouldn't be hot enough to do it anyway.

Heat bluing requires temps of 550 to 590 degrees F, to achieve the blue oxidation colors.

Few kitchen ovens will reach that temp, and few are big enough to place a ML barrel in. However, it should work if the oven will reach temp and the barrel will fit.

I have actually considered getting a electric stove/oven and installing it in my shop. You can get them for free if you don't care what they look like. I even thought about how to make a box I could cover the front door with so I could put longer items in the oven with the door open using it as the base - i.e. guns! One that I could remove and shut the door when not in use. I could also use the stove top for several things. I'm just not sure where I'd put it! Anyone have a stove in their shop? I could sell it to the wife that she'd have a second oven for special occasions - if she doesn't mind the cosmoline scent :wink: .

Kurt

Talk to your local pizza shop. If anyone has an oven big enough to take a barrel, and will get hot enough, its the guy with the pizza oven!

now i could see this procedure with other metal products, but how would this heating affect the barrel, is'nt there some kind of hardening/tempering in the barrel?

Muzzle loader barrels are soft low carbon steel and won't harden or temper but if there were internal stresses induced during the rifling process that were not relieved during the manufacturing process you may get some warpage which would not be a good thing.

J.D. and runnball are both correct.

The temperature needed to obtain a good blue is about 570 degrees F and although most stress relieving is done at higher temperatures some will occur.

According to a book I have about metal work a 430 degree temperature will give steel a yellow color which may not be what most folks would consider a attractive finish for a gunbarrel.

Latest posts

Back