• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

questions about .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman10

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know a lot of people shoot .32 cals here. I have a few questions.

1) how do the 32 maxi balls shoot as far as accuracy? and what grains of powder should I use?

2) how much are the 32 T/C maxi ball molds now? I have one that is still factory wrapped. just curious to the value of it.

That would depend on the barrel twist and other factors on how good they shoot. They don't make the 32 maxi moulds any more but I think some other companies do. Value is depending on the buyer but you could fetch a good price because they aren't made and yours unused.

Most 32 seem to come with a 1-48 twist. IMO if you are thinking of getting one, you would want to get one with a tighter twist. Some people do get the 1-48 twist to shoot maxis ok but I think most do not(mine didn't) and you would need a short maxi. Use 3f or equivalent and you will have to work up the load to see what shoots best if at all. Start at about 10-15gr and work up a few grains more at a time.

Agree.

If you plan on shooting Maxi's (or any conical for that matter) and that will be "what you shoot", you should get a barrel custom cut to shoot them.

Conicals of most description will "always" shoot better with a faster twist (compared to roundball) and shallower rifling.

Now if you consider "shooting well" to be an inch or an inch and a half at 50 or 75 yards, then a "generic barrel" that you (used to) find on many of the "off the shelf" rifles will do that.

If you are looking for single hole accuracy at 100 yards (and I say 100 because we are talking about a 32 here), you probably won't get that with a 1:48 twist with 10-16 thou rifling lobbing "mortar rounds" down range :)

Looking at my Lyman tables, by the time you hit 45 grains you would be making some "very serious" pressure. I would take that (45 grains) as my "Grizz load", and probably load no more than 30 or 35 grains depending on what/how far and how well it was shooting.

The TC Cherokee 32 cal has a twist rate of 1:30". Not sure about the Seneca, but I can't imagine them turning out a separate 32 barrel rifling setup for it. The Cherokee has a sterling accuracy record with the 103 grain Maxi. A bud has one and I've watched him do some pretty startling shooting at 100 yards and beyond with the combo.

I tried his Maxi's in my Crockett (1:48), and accuracy was only so-so until I got the charges up to where they were getting worrisome. Even then it couldn't come close to what his Cherokee would do at longer range.

Edit: I just found a source, and Seneca 32 is 1:30" twist as well. Read all about it here.

I used to have a TC .50. It shot great with the Maxi-balls. I recently built a .32 with which I shoot round balls. Here are my first 10 shots at 25 yards before it was finished. I haven't had a chance to take it to a range since it was complete. I expect it to shoot much better after some load development and sight adjustment.

The last 6 shots went through that hole in the middle.

I have a 32 Cherokee that shoots one hole groups at 20 yards. I just shot it Sunday. I have never been able to find any Maxi-balls. I did find a couple boxes of .36 but have not tried them yet. 15 grs. and a round ball are a lot of fun, but Maxi's would make it better for larger game.

I know an old store in W.Va. that still has some old TC stuff, but it might have been flooded. They got 9 inches of rain, and several people died. I'm going up there tomorrow, I'll check it out.

Back